DAC next upgrade?
Apr 11, 2010 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TOM 1

New Head-Fier
Hello all

This is my first post in the forum, however I have been a long time reader. Advice that I have garnered from this site has led me to the Sennheiser HD580's (with standard grill and cable mods), and the Jaycar DIY headphone amp. I am hoping to get some advice on an addition to my system to improve CD playback.

I have run a loudspeaker system in the past, but I have now gone away from this setup and moved to a headphone kit. I currently run a Rotel RDV-1060 universal player, which I feed via analogue into a Rotel RSP-1068 surround pre amp. I run it in bypass mode, simply using the volume control. I also run my PC into the RSP and use its DAC for playback of Bluray. The RSP-1068 runs into my Jaycar amp, and then out to the 580's.

I have a few DVD-A discs, and I am pleased with the results, however I feel that the RSP-1060 is out of its depth with CD'a. I had thought to add a DAC, just for CD playback. I don't mind buying a seconhand unit, and want to spend under AUD$1000. I've heard the Benchmark is a great DAC, but not sure about the headphone amp in it. I have looked at the MF V-DAC, the X-DAC, and the CA DACMagic. I do not have the opportunity to test this gear, and I'm hoping that I can use some experience from the good members of this site to assist.

Will a moderately inexpensive DAC like the DACMagic yeild me with an big improvement over the Rotel DVD-A player (for CD's), or do I need to spend a little more? I am told that the 'transport and chasis' of teh Rotel DVD-A is quite good, and this will be the most effective upgrade path.

I play anything from rock, jazz, classical, acoustic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back