DAC needed for AKG K701/702 and Sennheiser HD598/599?
Nov 13, 2018 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

AlexCross

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I am new to this forum (and also to the Hi-res music world) so please be patient with me . I am interested in buying the AKG K701/702 or the Sennheiser HD598/599 in order to use them on my iMac (2011) and my iPhone X. Music source is streaming via Apple Music (so far, hi-res might be an option in the future), almost every possible genre (mostly electronic, but also Jazz, classic, rock). Now I am asking myself: do I also need a Dac/Amp like the Dragonfly Red plus the Jitterbug for great sound with these headphones? Would this be a good match? I do not want to spend too much money. My budget is roundabout 500€. As newbie I am afraid that I am not able to cherish a way too expensive setup at this stage.

Any help, recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Alex

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 21
For that kind of money I'd be inclined to just get an AudioGD NFB-11. No problems driving any of those headphones and practically one of the best headphone amp circuits out there for the money unless you're planning to drive really inefficient headphones.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 21
Hi there,

I am new to this forum (and also to the Hi-res music world) so please be patient with me . I am interested in buying the AKG K701/702 or the Sennheiser HD598/599 in order to use them on my iMac (2011) and my iPhone X. Music source is streaming via Apple Music (so far, hi-res might be an option in the future), almost every possible genre (mostly electronic, but also Jazz, classic, rock). Now I am asking myself: do I also need a Dac/Amp like the Dragonfly Red plus the Jitterbug for great sound with these headphones? Would this be a good match? I do not want to spend too much money. My budget is roundabout 500€. As newbie I am afraid that I am not able to cherish a way too expensive setup at this stage.
Any help, recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you! Alex

The 50-Ohm HD598/HD599 are easier to drive, so will easily work with the smart phone (iPhone).
The K701/K702 are more power demanding, not something I would expect a smart phone to drive to their best.

For a smart phone, you might consider buying a used (off eBay) Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 or ATH-WS99 headphones.
As they make good portables and sound great.
Then spend the rest of your audio budget for larger headphones, for use with the iMac.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 21
Sorry there was a bit of a misunderstanding. I mean the budget is 500€ for everything (headphone, Dac, Jitterbug etc.).

Forget the K70x headphones then because at 93dB/1mW and 62ohms they require a fair bit of current and power, ie, bare minimum of around 256mW (pref 512mW++) at 32ohms from an amp with high current output.

You'd be better off with a HiFiMan HE400S, maybe order the Focus pads with it so you improve imaging (not going to be anywhere near the same as the K70x though), plus maybe a Fiio Q1 MkII and a 2.5mm plug balanced cable to utilize the max output of the Q1 Mk2 into the HE400S in balanced drive mode. Although unless it saves you shipping costs you should probably try it with the stock cable first. If it's loud enough without distorting then you can just use it in single ended mode.

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 21
Thanks, I will have a look at the Hifiman. One thing to note is that I would like to use the headphone on the Mac AND the iPhone (if possible), always at home. For travelling I have the Sony WH-1000XM2.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 21
No DAC or anything else needed for the HE400S? The sound is good "out of the box" for iMac 2011 or iPhone?
Apple products seem to come with good built in DAC functions.
I might try and talk you into spend money ($125-$150) for a headphone amplifier.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 21
My current headphone set up for use with my mac and my iphone uses the AKG K702s. As a great little USB DAC which is compatible with both my mac and my phone I am using the Fiio Q1 MKii. I then have this running to a LittleDot MKiii tube amp. The warmth and depth of the LittleDot really enriches the sound of the AKG702s and I found that the Fiio has a wonderful clear and cohesive sound to it which really compliments the 702s fantastic soundstage.

I reckon all in this set up is slightly less than the 500 euros you are budgeting.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 21
Massdrop SDAC $80, Liquid spark $99, headphone of your choice and be done for awhile. My HE400i are a fantastic all around headphone. They play well with almost all genres and sound fantastic with the Liquid spark. My SDAC actually will arrive in the mail in the next few days. Also as far as amps go JDS Labs just released a brand new amp the ATOM. Which is looking to be a fantastic amp also!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 21
My current headphone set up for use with my mac and my iphone uses the AKG K702s. As a great little USB DAC which is compatible with both my mac and my phone I am using the Fiio Q1 MKii. I then have this running to a LittleDot MKiii tube amp. The warmth and depth of the LittleDot really enriches the sound of the AKG702s and I found that the Fiio has a wonderful clear and cohesive sound to it which really compliments the 702s fantastic soundstage.

I reckon all in this set up is slightly less than the 500 euros you are budgeting.

Oh, this looks like a nice setup! I was just wondering, since there is also a cheaper LittleDot available, if it has to be the MKiii... I did not consider the option of two separate devices (DAC and AMP) yet. Do you take the Fiio and the LittleDot with you when using it with your iPhone in another room at home? It just does not look as portable as a small USB DAC/AMP like the Dragonfly Red...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Oh, this looks like a nice setup! I was just wondering, since there is also a cheaper LittleDot available, if it has to be the MKiii... I did not consider the option of two separate devices (DAC and AMP) yet. Do you take the Fiio and the LittleDot with you when using it with your iPhone in another room at home? It just does not look as portable as a small USB DAC/AMP like the Dragonfly Red...

It wouldn’t have to be the MKiii, but the components it uses are a little step up from the MKii. I take the FiiO with me as a portable amp/dac wherever I go and is very portable. It really does sound very good. Clear and accurate in its presentation which I feel compliments the AKG702s.

The benefit of using the tube amp with it is thabit adds in the warmth and bass which I felt was slightly lacking in the 702s. It also gives my digital files a nice analog aspect which I value.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 21
It wouldn’t have to be the MKiii, but the components it uses are a little step up from the MKii. I take the FiiO with me as a portable amp/dac wherever I go and is very portable. It really does sound very good. Clear and accurate in its presentation which I feel compliments the AKG702s.

The benefit of using the tube amp with it is thabit adds in the warmth and bass which I felt was slightly lacking in the 702s. It also gives my digital files a nice analog aspect which I value.

I‘m inclined to give it a try. How do you connect the FiiO to the LittleDot? I think I will compare the sound of the AKGs together with the FiiO AND the MKiii and without the MKiii. Curious to hear the differences.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 21
Thank you everyone so far! To sum up, I see two different options here:

1. AKG K702 + FiiO Q1 MK2 + LittleDot MK3
2. HE 400s (or i, which is currently on sale at Hifiman?) + Focus Pads + FiiO Q1 MK2 (Massdrop SDAC) (+ Liquid Spark)

Tough choice... Any preferences?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back