DAC modding experts, have a look...
Mar 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

qib

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to get opinions on the Dacmagic mods that were already out from audiocom. .: Audiocom International :. Modifications : Cambridge Audio DacMagic I dont really understand much of it apart from them not really using quality caps, considering the price of the mods. Dont really want to save up for it unless its good. There was a thread on AVforums with cap mods using blackgates and stuff like that but these ones apparently use caps of lesser quality. Any opinions? Is it good enough to save up for? or better to just buy another dac? 110GBP for phase 1 and 140 for phase II.

DacMagic Level-1 Upgrade

■ Panasonic FC input bypass capacitors.
■ Specially selected, NOS low noise regulators for analogue supply.
■ Panasonic FC analogue regulation bypass capacitors.
■ Sanyo OSCON SP for DSP decoupling.
■ Sanyo OSCON SP for DAC decoupling.
■ Panasonic FC bulk decoupling for line out stage.
■ AD825 op-amps on Brown Dog adapter for output buffer.

DacMagic Level-2 Upgrade

■ Panasonic FC input bypass capacitors.
■ Specially selected, NOS low noise regulators for digital supply.
■ Specially selected, NOS low noise regulators for analogue supply.
■ Panasonic FC digital regulation bypass capacitors.
■ Panasonic FC analogue regulation bypass capacitors.
■ Sanyo OSCON SP for DSP decoupling.
■ Sanyo OSCON SP for DAC decoupling.
■ Panasonic FC bulk decoupling for line out stage.
■ AD825 op-amps on Brown Dog adapter for output buffer.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Nice find there, interested in what people with DAC modifying experience will say.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Are the prices just for the parts, or includes the work to be done?

Blackgates are nice, but there are other things perfectly good around... and sometimes better for some applications. The parts list of this upgrades is very nice
wink.gif

However I think the DacMagic 'as is' is very good and it does not use crap parts (like V-DAC does).

If the price includes work, the level 1 is possibly what I will do if I own one. The digital part of the DM is quite good as is IMO.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the prices just for the parts, or includes the work to be done?

Blackgates are nice, but there are other things perfectly good around... and sometimes better for some applications. The parts list of this upgrades is very nice
wink.gif

However I think the DacMagic 'as is' is very good and it does not use crap parts (like V-DAC does).

If the price includes work, the level 1 is possibly what I will do if I own one. The digital part of the DM is quite good as is IMO.

as the owner of a v-dac, i am very interested in your "crap parts " comment.
would you care to elaborate?
up to now i have been very happy with my v-dac.
but , as i have said in a new thread, i have the urge to try something else.
the dacmagic or keces 131 mk2 do interest me.
thanks

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 10
but is the dacmagic technically better?

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 10
have i been told off?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 10
IMO DacMagic is technically a better design and with a better construction (good parts).

The parts offered as upgrades are great, but sometimes going from good to great may be an important step... or not. The V-DAC original parts are not very good, and going from crap to great there IS a change usually, this was my point.

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO DacMagic is technically a better design and with a better construction (good parts).

The parts offered as upgrades are great, but sometimes going from good to great may be an important step... or not. The V-DAC original parts are not very good, and going from crap to great there IS a change usually, this was my point.

thanks for that !
so much for MF's concept of high end kit in cheap box, eh?
i am happy with the sound but i may try another dac to compare! cant help myself!
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back