DAC make a difference?
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Grado Diesel

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I’ve been into audiophiling for a little over a year now. I started out with a FiiO X3 ii, a Schiit Vali 2 and a pair of HIFIMAN HE-400i’s. Since then I’ve also picked up the new Schiit Magni 3.
Last Christmas I anticipated getting a Schiit Modi Multibit and bought a custom made coax cable to go from the FiiO to a Multibit. Never wound up getting the Multibit but I still have the fresh unused cable. I’m enticing the idea of being a little cheaper and getting the Modi 2 Uber. My main question is will I hear/notice a difference using the external Schiit DAC vs the one inside of the FiiO?

Another issue I’ve had since going hifi and something I’ve come to terms with is the sibilance on certain recordings is not hidden like it is with an IPod. The FiiO lets it all out. The Vali 2 with a Genelex Golden Lion seemed to help out with some of this. Another audiophile friend of mine at work seems to think the DAC may ease up on the harshness of some sibilance as well. Any thoughts on this?

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 19
My main question is will I hear/notice a difference using the external Schiit DAC vs the one inside of the FiiO?

Yes. Not because the Modi is absolutely better, but the X3 has one limitation that makes for some obvious differences: it has a lower 1.2volt line output. The Modi2 has a 2v output.

That's a large gap and barring a too high output (note that standard line output for digital sources is supposedly 2v as per Sony Redbook, but battery power dictated some limitations), if you don't equalize the output when comparing them, you'll immediately think the Modi2 is totally better. If you equalize the output in a more precise manner the differences aren't likely to be obvious.

One way it can actually be better though is that given that's a considerably higher output (but not too high that it's a different problem) is managing noise off the Vali2. Since you have to crank it up less, then tube noise unless it's totally microphonic will likely be lower.

That said, if you're not hearing any electronic noise at your listening level with the Vali2 driving the HE400i, then I'd much rather save the money for the Modi2 Uber and stick the X3 on a DK1 dock instead for improved ergonomics using it as a desktop player, and spend the rest of the money on music.

Another issue I’ve had since going hifi and something I’ve come to terms with is the sibilance on certain recordings is not hidden like it is with an IPod. The FiiO lets it all out. The Vali 2 with a Genelex Golden Lion seemed to help out with some of this. Another audiophile friend of mine at work seems to think the DAC may ease up on the harshness of some sibilance as well. Any thoughts on this?

There's a chance that the higher voltage output of the Modi2 might make it sound sharper, but again, that's mostly if you don't equalize the system output.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 19
Had the Magni for about 3 years solo, never had an external DAC prior to DFR. I can say there was a noticeable (good) difference in SQ adding the Modi into the mix. Another Head-Fier gave me a good deal on his 1st gen unit, and apparently the 2nd gen is even better. Schiit also has a 2 week or something money back guarantee, so it can't hurt to at least try it out.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Yes. Not because the Modi is absolutely better, but the X3 has one limitation that makes for some obvious differences: it has a lower 1.2volt line output. The Modi2 has a 2v output.

That's a large gap and barring a too high output (note that standard line output for digital sources is supposedly 2v as per Sony Redbook, but battery power dictated some limitations), if you don't equalize the output when comparing them, you'll immediately think the Modi2 is totally better. If you equalize the output in a more precise manner the differences aren't likely to be obvious.

One way it can actually be better though is that given that's a considerably higher output (but not too high that it's a different problem) is managing noise off the Vali2. Since you have to crank it up less, then tube noise unless it's totally microphonic will likely be lower.

That said, if you're not hearing any electronic noise at your listening level with the Vali2 driving the HE400i, then I'd much rather save the money for the Modi2 Uber and stick the X3 on a DK1 dock instead for improved ergonomics using it as a desktop player, and spend the rest of the money on music.

There's a chance that the higher voltage output of the Modi2 might make it sound sharper, but again, that's mostly if you don't equalize the system output.

As far as equalizing the system out put are you referring to using an external eq like the Schiit Loki or the DAP’s internal eq settings?

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 19
Had the Magni for about 3 years solo, never had an external DAC prior to DFR. I can say there was a noticeable (good) difference in SQ adding the Modi into the mix. Another Head-Fier gave me a good deal on his 1st gen unit, and apparently the 2nd gen is even better. Schiit also has a 2 week or something money back guarantee, so it can't hurt to at least try it out.

That’s a good point too. Another purchase I’m thinking of making is getting the Sennheiser HD-650s. These are supposed to be relaxed on the high end of the frequency spectrum.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 19
That’s a good point too. Another purchase I’m thinking of making is getting the Sennheiser HD-650s. These are supposed to be relaxed on the high end of the frequency spectrum.
I have owned the 650's. They didn't suit my taste. Yes, they sounded fantastic, but they were incredibly analytical. I suppose for my personal taste, I like a more "fun" sounding headphone.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 19
As far as equalizing the system out put are you referring to using an external eq like the Schiit Loki or the DAP’s internal eq settings?

I'm referring to system output level. Higher voltage source will result in higher system volume even with the amp volume knob in the exact same position. The amplifier will be amplifying a signal that is stronger than another.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Where would an EQ normally go in a setup? Between the DAC and amp?

On Windows/OSX/Android/iOS. Why mess with a hardware EQ when the center frequencies are fixed, they're too large and have too few bands, etc? With software EQ some apps like Neutron Music Player on Android/iOS you can select the curve type, center freq, Q-Factor, etc, to more precisely deal with peaks or dips in the response?

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 19
On Windows/OSX/Android/iOS. Why mess with a hardware EQ when the center frequencies are fixed, they're too large and have too few bands, etc? With software EQ some apps like Neutron Music Player on Android/iOS you can select the curve type, center freq, Q-Factor, etc, to more precisely deal with peaks or dips in the response?

Where I’m using my setup, there’s no access to a personal computer for Audio use. So I’m stuck with keeping my signal chain free from a computer.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 19
I’m using a FiiO X3 ii.

Fiio-X3-2nd-Gen-Fiio-X3-ii-Nondestructive-MP3-Player-HIFI-Native-DSD-Decoding-Music-Player.jpg

Where I’m using my setup, there’s no access to a personal computer for Audio use. So I’m stuck with keeping my signal chain free from a computer.

No fullsize computer but if you can bring in a phone then there's Neutron Music Player on Android/iOS.

Or a Fiio X5III or X7II on Android mode.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 19
My schiit modi 2 uber got delivered yesterday, running it through a vali 2. Have been test listening using my note 8 and s8 and usb audio player pro.

Im getting great sound - way better than direct out of the phone and (from memory coz i lost it) better than my dragonfly 1.2 as well. Im starting to understand what people mean in their reviews when they talk about soundstage, imaging and the perception of space. I cant iffer a direct comparison to the fiio as i dont have one but it deffos schiits on the dragonfly (ah thank you!).

Got the uber coz i want to run a good cd player optical through it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back