DAC is dead, need a new one
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DasKobold

New Head-Fier
Got a Cambridge DacMagic 100 and I don't know what's wrong with it but whenever I use it, I can hear a high pinch, peeping sound. When I hook my computer directly to my amp, everything sounds normal. But when I connect my soundcard to my DAC, and then that DAC to my amp, it makes this weird sound. So yeah, the DacMagic 100 was 149 with shipping so I thought I get something new at that price range. Schiit has a bunch of dacs at that price range, but I don't know which one of them I should buy. Loki (99€), modi 2 (120€) or the Wyrd for 125€. I feel like I should go with the cheapest option.

EDIT: forgot to add, I am using the beyerdynamic dt 1770 pro right now, but I might buy the T1 around x-mas. I don't know if that matters when choosing a dac.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 16
The Wyrd is a USB interface, not a DAC. I'd vote Modi 2 or Modi Multibit depending on what your budget allows! I've heard the Multibit is significantly better than the base model. The Uber version just has more inputs

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah I noticed that too after creating this thread. When I checked that website earlier today I just opened their DAC page and basically copy pasted all their dacs under 150€ here. Later I checked their descriptions one by one.

YZuHkM9.png

I kinda want the Loki because it says there that it used to cost 189€ and is now down to 99€ compared to the Modi 2 which only went down to 120€ but started at 139€. Well I will visit a friend today and borrow his amp tomorrow to see if my current DAC sounds normal there. Maybe my DAC is not broken after all.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 16
The DAC is dead. Long live the DAC! (Ha. Just had to say that.)

The Wyrd (which is a USB power isolator) "might" (as in no guarantees) actually solve the noise issue with your current DAC.

Although I agree about the JDS Labs OL DAC (best DAC I've owned under $200), the differences between DACs in this price range aren't nearly as great as higher-end ones. In fact, I could not tell the Modi 2 apart from my laptop's onboard DAC when I did a comparison years ago.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 16
Got a Cambridge DacMagic 100 and I don't know what's wrong with it but whenever I use it, I can hear a high pinch, peeping sound. When I hook my computer directly to my amp, everything sounds normal. But when I connect my soundcard to my DAC, and then that DAC to my amp, it makes this weird sound.

Is the "high pinch, peeping sound" the same as the "weird sound," ie, you're referring to the same thing and it's only been hooked up via SPDIF from the soundcard?

Or do you mean that via USB there's the "high pinch, peeping sound," but the sound is just a little weird when connected via the soundcard?

If it's the latter, that might be because Virtual Surround (or whatever your soundcard manufacturer's marketing department decided to call it) is running. Disable it for 2ch audio as it's designed to simulate surround sound on two physical channels.

Loki (99€), modi 2 (120€) or the Wyrd for 125€.

Loki only works with DSD audio. It just has a pass-through so you can use the Loki and something like the Modi in the same chain.

Wyrd is a USB power isolator that might help clean up the "high pinch, peeping sound."

Modi2 won't work with your soundcard. You need the Modi2 Uber since that's the one that has SPDIF. It also has its own power supply instead of relying on USB for both the audio signal and power.

I feel like I should go with the cheapest option.
It's to expensive. Living in Germany, and it costs 219€ on amazon and $163.75 if I order it from their website. So far I guess the modi 2 is the best option, kinda pisses me off that I have to pay 5€ for shipping.

if you only need USB there's one you can order from Switzerland.
http://www.headnhifi.com/dac/ODAC-revB-RCA-Version

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 16
I got the amp now and now I have another problem, the amp makes some crappy noise. I'll definitely need a new DAC, I assumed it only made that high pinched noise because I hooked it up into my soundcard (Creative Sound BlasterX G5) and my soundcard didn't like that DAC. But today my DAC (Cambridge DacMagic 100) was connected via USB to my computer and then via cinch to my amp (Musical Fidelity V90-BHA) but the high pinch was still there, and now on top of that there was also a humming/noise. So I disconnected the amp from my DAC, removing it entirely and hooked it up to my soundcard instead. High pinch sound gone, noise still there.

You guys have any idea why I am hearing this weird noises? Something wrong with the cabling perhaps? I am using the DT 1770 with it's default coiled cable. I guess I'll go for a modi 2 as dac, while I am on it, do you guys think it makes sense to replace this musical fidelity amp with a schiit one? Just asking because I never tested those, but would a modi 2 run better along a magni 2?

edit: I actually found a video with the exact same crap.

the first 10 seconds of that video is what I hear now on my amp

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 16
The Loki is discontinued. I replaced my old DacMagic 100 with the Modi/Magni 2 Uber. Depending how much $ you want to spend, the Fulla 2 is $99 and might serve your needs. If you are hearing weird noises, replace your USB cable. That has happened to me a couple of times and I tossed the old cable. I have never looked back.

Sep 5, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 16
I already ordered the Modi earlier today, it should arrive in two days. Anyway, I am going to test this whole thing with the new dac and see if that helps. Because earlier today I unplugged my amp (Musical Fidelity V90-BHA) from my sound card. It was turned on and I had my headphones connect to it, no other input and it still made weird sounds, I have no idea what's going on. I have a older amp lying around here, something eastern european made in the 80s or 90s, and when I hook up my sound card to that thing I don't have any issues at all.

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 16
You guys have any idea why I am hearing this weird noises?

If the noise occurs even when no music is playing, it could be a ground loop, in which case a ground loop isolator would fix it. (I just use a cheater plug on my laptop power supply, but this is less safe. I've also used optical TOSLINK, which electrically isolates your DAC, but you would need a source that outputs TOSLINK and a DAC that accepts it.)

But yeah, wait and see how things go with your new DAC.

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Ground loop? I just googled that and yeah that seems to be the problem I have. I mean, as said above this noise also occurs when my amp has no input at all. Well let's see if the modi 2 will fix this (although I doubt it to be honest). As far as I know the modi 2 does not require any external power, it runs on usb only right?

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 16
As far as I know the modi 2 does not require any external power, it runs on usb only right?

Yes, but in my case, the ground loop was going through my laptop, coming from the power supply. (I knew because the noise stopped when I unplugged the power cable.) The fact that a DAC is USB-powered won't help there. But the amp seems to be the issue in your case.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 16
I want a Loki, but they're not on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back