Jan 21, 2015 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

concordus

Head-Fier
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z-ero-the-world-s-1st-digital-earphone

Hi

What is your opinion on this.

Worth buying?

Interesting idea.

Wondering when phone makers will catch up and start to make phones dedicated to better performance in sound production.

Regards

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 6
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751309/z-ero-the-worlds-1st-digital-earphone

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 6
that thread seems to have...gone missing?
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 6
I got mine today and I have to say that I'm very disappointed so far. I saw reviews commenting on the low range but nothing too detailed. My experience so far is that the bass is extremely boomy and leaks a lot, so much that I can't enjoy my music because it's leaving a thick veil on nearly every song that I listen to. This was surprising to me because I thought that the amp would be able to control the low end better but I feel like I'm listening to beats.

I tried to use an EQ with poweramp but I haven't quite been able to find the right configuration yet. Although I'd much rather be using my TTPOD T1-E IEMs that I've had for some time now, I'm going to give these IEM's some time to grow on me. I'm currently using a Nexus 5, but I don't think that should make a difference at all, maybe I'll try them on my girlfriend's HTC One M8 if it's compatible to see if there's a difference (Even she could tell how uncontrolled the bass was and she doesn't care about headphones).

I hope it's just my pair, because these do have some things going for them. In my brief period so far of listening to them, I'd say that these have a decent soundstage, the instruments are clear whenever a low bass isn't involved. Although, the dongle for controlling audio is lovely albeit a bit delayed on pause/play, I really like the mini usb instead of a standard audio jack because my phone's port is broken and loves to distort when moved. Hopefully this made some sense because I'm not too experienced with describing sound signatures or giving reviews on HP's in general :p

After listening again, I'd have to say these have a V shaped sound signature and it doesn't lend well to the overall performance of these unique IEMs

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 6
I have found them to be a bit device-sensitive, in that connecting them to my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active yields a slightly less-controlled bass than with my 2013 Nexus 7. 

I also note that if they are not well-sealed to the ear, not only is the bass reduced, they tend to produce a somewhat "honky" midrange. Once properly sealed up, all is good.

The only real comparison I have, earbud-wise, are my Shure E2Cs. I find the Z:ero to be a bit more extended in the upper ranges, but not quite as authoritative in the bass. At the retail price point, I'd call them a pretty nice deal. OTOH, I do worry a bit about breaking the connector that sticks out a bit long from the device to which they are connected.

Pros:
Decent value
Good sound
Volume and pause controls on cable
Reasonably attractive
Come with case & various-size ear seals

Cons:
Might be fragile
If not well-sealed sound is considerably degraded
Sound is somewhat dependent on the device driving them
Can only be used with smartphones or tablets with appropriate digital output

Bill

12/9/2015 - I'm tacking this on, as I have an update. I don't know whether these guys "broke in" or finding the proper fit to my ear canals (I found one is larger than the other, requiring differing sizes for the earpieces), but I am now getting very deep, solid bass. Like, amazingly so. On Lana del Rey's "Young and Beautiful," the big bass drum has real authority.
I am happier than before with the Z:eros. I'd recommend as a best buy, if they fit your devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back