DAC - info and suggestions?
Jan 18, 2003 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
While thoroughly teased by the idea of buying a new source to improve my system, I honestly can't afford the $400 + to sink into a good CDP.

I can however, justify spending $100-150 on a DAC if that will improve the sound of my system. I believe my CDP has digital out, and my DVDP definitely does.

I'm wondering if this is a viable solution to improving my system right now, or if i should just hold off longer, and set that money aside for a future source upgrade (NAD 541, Philips 963...)

Suggestions on DACs? ART DI/o. How about the CAL Gamma?

Or, should i just break down and buy a used CDP like Marantz CD63SE, 67SE...which can be found around $150 range?

I really cant spend more than that now, but am antsy and want to buy a new toy
biggrin.gif

thanks

Jan 20, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 3
I think it depends on what sound you're after. If you have a decent CDP with a digital out, you can get a really smooth, analog sound with used Audio Alchemy 3.0, or Adcom GDA-600 DACs. If you want more detail and bass, the MSB Link III is also available on the used market for $200 or so. There's lots of good deals out there, it's just a matter of choice.

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 3
I would also recommend the Link II, which can be had for quite a bit less than the Link III. My understanding is that they are identical sonically, but that the Link III is more upgradeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back