DAC...huh??
Jan 22, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #16 of 18
Would you not need a CD player with digital outputs to use an external DAC? It makes sense to me that any signal from the analog output of the player is already converted by the player's DAC.

What are the important specs to view when determining the quality of a DAC? Both my DVD player and A/V receiver state 192 kHz 24 bit DAC (my CD player has analog out only). Is there another spec I should look for to determine which unit I should let perform the DAC? (Yes, I am expecting a "let my ears decide" response.
icon10.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by merc82
Would you not need a CD player with digital outputs to use an external DAC? It makes sense to me that any signal from the analog output of the player is already converted by the player's DAC.

What are the important specs to view when determining the quality of a DAC? Both my DVD player and A/V receiver state 192 kHz 24 bit DAC (my CD player has analog out only). Is there another spec I should look for to determine which unit I should let perform the DAC? (Yes, I am expecting a "let my ears decide" response.
icon10.gif

yes you would. there are 3 main types of digital outputs commonly found - coaxial, glass toslink and mini optical.

the only way to determine which dac is better would be to physically check the dac type by reading a model number off the chip. you then could probably google a comparison.

btw, it is said that integer upsampling dacs (ie 2x44.1=88.2khz or 4x44.1=176.4khz) dacs are better than non integer upsampling dacs (ie 96/192khz).

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
btw, it is said that integer upsampling dacs (ie 2x44.1=88.2khz or 4x44.1=176.4khz) dacs are better than non integer upsampling dacs (ie 96/192khz).

That kinda reminds me of how upscaling an image to a resolution that has double the pixels in each dimension yields "perfect" upscaling (like 800x600 upscaled to 1600x1200 for instance). Perhaps integer upsampling avoids distortions the same way upscaling an image the way I mentioned avoids distortions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back