DAC+Headphone amp for $200
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

XmarX

Head-Fier
Hi folks!

I'm looking for a neutral sounding dac with a decent headphone amp to drive my Jade Audio EA3 and NiceHCK EB2. I also have a Yamaha AS-500 integrated amp.

Sources would be my Windows 10 PC and mobile phone and tablet.

I was looking at the Chord Mojo but heard that it's got some qc issues. My main requirement is reliability and I'm seeing lots of users reporting issues.

So, is mojo good enough ?
Or is there are any better alternatives out there ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:
I would be using it strictly at home, powering my home audio system or my earphones. So, don't need it to be portable at all.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 13
Headphones that work well plugged into the Yamaha A-500's headphone jack (250-Ohm to 600-Ohm), might not work as well plugged into a smart phone or tablet.
And headphones (& IEMs) that work well plugged into a smartphone or tablet (12-Ohm to 60-Ohm), might not work as well plugged into the A-500,
it's an impedance (Ohm) issue.
With your IEMS, suggest you just plug them directly into the smartphone or tablet.
Suggest you buy the 150-Ohm Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones, should work plugged directly into the A-S500 or your Windows 10 PC's on-board audio.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 13
Headphones that work well plugged into the Yamaha A-500's headphone jack (250-Ohm to 600-Ohm), might not work as well plugged into a smart phone or tablet.
And headphones (& IEMs) that work well plugged into a smartphone or tablet (12-Ohm to 60-Ohm), might not work as well plugged into the A-500,
it's an impedance (Ohm) issue.
With your IEMS, suggest you just plug them directly into the smartphone or tablet.
Suggest you buy the 150-Ohm Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones, should work plugged directly into the A-S500 or your Windows 10 PC's on-board audio.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
Actually, I wanted a DAC with a built-in headphone amp. I don't want to use my Yamaha amp as a headphone amp.
That's why i created this this thread.
Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 13
My two cents.
Get A FiiO X3 MK3 DAP, it can work as a USB DAC/amp, with your PC.
And as a portable music player.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 13
Interesting recommendation!
But, it's not on sale in my country. There's the X5 mk3 here btw!
Update your info with your location.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 13
XmarX,

If you can get one, I suggest the Lexicon Alpha.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Dec 18, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Modi+Magni ?

Yeah, it definitely is an option!
But, I already have a Yamaha AS500 amp on my desk and I don't like to stack two more boxes right next to it!

I was interested in more of a integrated DAC+Headphone amp setup. But I'm not ruling it out completely.

Thanks for the suggestion btw.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Modi+Magni ?

Yeah, it definitely is an option!
But, I already have a Yamaha AS500 amp on my desk and I don't like to stack two more boxes right next to it!

I was interested in more of a integrated DAC+Headphone amp setup. But I'm not ruling it out completely.

Thanks for the suggestion btw.
Ahh. I completely understand about the boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back