DAC for Violectric V340 (RCA inputs only)
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dermott

100+ Head-Fier
I have a V340 coming my way and looking to get into a new DAC as well. I am currently using a ~10yr old Yulong DA8 MI Sabre DAC (ESS9018). I very interested in R2R based on what I have read, but never heard one. Are there DACs (either R2R or DS) that I should be looking at knowing that I only have the RCA option for input (no XLR)? Not sure if the Vrms output is that important. Ex. Denafrips Ares 12th = RCA at 2.0Vrms, 625 Ω and the Gustard R26 = RCA: 2.5Vrms (VOLUME FIXED) 100Ω. My understanding is that the higher the Vrms, the "hotter" the signal (a little boost in volume/loudness). I am out of my depth on if I should care about the outimpedance of the DAC and if that is critical for amp/dac pairing. Are there DACs that Violectric users recommend for the V340?

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 4
Bifrost 2/64 all the way and for your wallet. Schiit R2R DACs in general match very well with Violectric stuff. Just make sure you are fine with always on as they tend to take up a good amount of hours to warm up. From the specs it says 12W power consumption.
Also head to the V340 thread once you are setup and post your impressions and head to the Bifrost 2 thread to read up on it and the tons of impressions.

Also guys like @Empyah played around plentiful with Schiit DACs and Violectric amps.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 4
"Also head to the V340 thread" - that's just it. There is a V380 thread, but not just the V340 that I can see. The V380 already has a DAC built in, so folks might not have a DAC in mind for that one. The other upstream amp the V550 has XLR inputs, so not really apples to apples either

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 4
"Also head to the V340 thread" - that's just it. There is a V380 thread, but not just the V340 that I can see. The V380 already has a DAC built in, so folks might not have a DAC in mind for that one. The other upstream amp the V550 has XLR inputs, so not really apples to apples either
To me it looks like they share the same exact amp / pre amp part. The V380 would be a V340 with added DAC and maybe some other functionality?

You can freely post your impressions in the V380 thread, I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back