DAC for T1 and WA2
Aug 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Which DAC do you recommend for T1 and WA2? Budget 1200$ <

Look into the Matrix X-Sabre $1099.  It's a full featured DAC and sounds good with my WA2 and HD-800 combo.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Look into the Matrix X-Sabre $1099.  It's a full featured DAC and sounds good with my WA2 and HD-800 combo.

I'm getting T1s today. Also considering Matrix Sabre and Quattro DACs to pair with Bottlehead Crack. Have you heard the Quattro in comparison to Sabre?

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I'm getting T1s today. Also considering Matrix Sabre and Quattro DACs to pair with Bottlehead Crack. Have you heard the Quattro in comparison to Sabre?

Unfortunately no, I had to research by reading reviews and make my choice without auditioning.  I have a little over 200 hours of burn-in on my X-Sabre and can say (without reservation) that it is of very good sound (and build) quality.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Unfortunately no, I had to research by reading reviews and make my choice without auditioning.  I have a little over 200 hours of burn-in on my X-Sabre and can say (without reservation) that it is of very good sound (and build) quality.

That's OK. Would you describe the X-Sabre as leaning towards warm / neutral / bright? I'm feeling like I'd enjoy a hair more warmth to pair with the T1s (even with my lushest Mullard tubes in the Crack) - that said, it might be a reflection of my current DAC (NFB-5.2) being a little raspy in the treble.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 9
DA8, Sabre-X, Anedio D2 (used) are good choices.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

That's OK. Would you describe the X-Sabre as leaning towards warm / neutral / bright? I'm feeling like I'd enjoy a hair more warmth to pair with the T1s (even with my lushest Mullard tubes in the Crack) - that said, it might be a reflection of my current DAC (NFB-5.2) being a little raspy in the treble.

It's certainly not overly "tubish" warm nor is it sterile neutral in signature.  I would describe it as musical with a perceived slightly warmish overtone quality and very detailed in presentation (treble has not been of any issue, although there is occasional sibilance during break-in.)  The DAC does everything correct IMHO,  and the more I listen to it, the more I like it and realize I made a correct choice (no regrets!)

BTW, I believe the X-Sabre (engineering/ sound wise) is far above and in a whole different league above the Quattro.  Look through some the treads by Project86 for his reviews of the Matrix X-Sabre and Yulong DA8 DACs, tons of good listening and technical impressions.  After 250+ hours on my DAC, I'd say I agree with most/ if not all his interpretations of the X-Sabre.

Aug 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
DA8, Sabre-X, Anedio D2 (used) are good choices.

X2, read the reviews, these can be all correct choices.  Simply look at features/ price points and sound signature preferences for your setup and tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back