dac for recording?
Jul 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rei_yano

100+ Head-Fier
what would be the best dac I could get for recording guitar and mic under 150 bucks? should have midi as well but it is not a requirement. I would prefer the unit would be able to have phantom power but that as well is not necessary. I am shopping for a dac so my brothers in law can record their band. right now they are using some 20 dollar mic hooked into an on-board sound card. its a pretty ugly situation really. they are using windows xp. thanks in advance!

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi rei yano,

You are really looking for a ADC, right? Then you need some way to record the digital signal. I can't help you with a digital recorder, but there are some that are small and prices are falling and for your purposes they have built in mics

I would think the EMU 0404usb would do it, but I see you have one already. On Ebay they regularly go for <$130 without software or a little more with it. You'll need a small laptop to record the digital to the HD.

Maybe I don't understand how the 0404 works. I was thinking of getting one to convert my analogue sources to digital to feed a Slim Devices Transporter. It would be used standalone with its digital out feeding the Transporter. I could get rid of the pre and go directly from Transporter to amp.

I'd be interested in your experiences with the 0404 usb,

George

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 11
well Iwas thinking about getting them a used 0404. Im gonna look into it. they are playing music together and have no idea how to record thier music. not that they want to make a release yet but they just want some way to make a demo at least. they have very little money to work with here. thanks for your help!

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 11
You should be looking for an ADC (analog to digital converter). Guitars and mics are all analog devices. DAC (digital to analog converter) takes only digital signal.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh sorry. so is a emu 0404 both?

I don't have the 0404 but most sound cards contains ADC and allow you to record an analog signal.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Yes the EMU 0404 USB is both and it has two recording channels with phantom power.

I use it mostly for room calibration but recording works pretty well. I am using ntrack for the recording part.

Cheers

Thomas

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 11
the presonus firebox is also one to look into. im not sure how it works with a PC, as i use a mac. but check out their website for info. it has balanced outputs as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back