DAC for PC and/or *if possible* Portable DAC/Amp
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

I got my brand New Mac Mini stolen a while ago and was forced to pick up a "cheap" used PC (a Dell Inspiron 7720 17R SE with an SSD) since I couldn't afford a new or used Mac. Problem is that sound quality has taken a hit.

So, even though I'm poor I'd like to get a DAC for my PC. If it can also be used as a Portable DAC/Amp for my LG V20 Smartphone but it does the job for now and my main upgrade is meant for my Computer where I do most of my Music and Movie Listening/Watching.

These are just examples but just going by specs I quite like Topping's D10's Features as well as their NX4 Portable DAC/Amp.

I like the fact that it's pretty much upgrade-proof with the 32bit/384khz and up to DSD256, it's low price and Op-Amp Rolling...
I also like that it's not a DAC/Amp combo since I already have a Schiit Vali Tube Amp that I like...
As far as DAC's I'm really open to suggestions on other options. They can be more expensive but it has to be worth it. I'll be using HD650's or HD6XX that I'll be getting soon since my AKG K612 Pro's and Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm both had one side stop working...
Anyways, thanks a bunch for the recommendations and your advices :)

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 3
It really depends on your budget and "wants" out of such a device.

If its purely for PC use, the Sabaj DA3 is about as good as they come, though sound signature preferences may sway things somewhat.
But if you want to double up as DAC Amp for your V20 (which in my opinion is not necessary, as its as good as most mid-range DAP's out on the market already), the SMSL IQ is essentially the DA3 with a battery. They both are dual DAC chip setups with a balanced output option using a 2.5mm TRRS jack.

Or as mentioned, the Topping NX4 DSD with the ES9038Q2M chip.

Or if Mac and iPhone compatibility is a priority, the Fiio Q1Mark 2.

I personally use the Breeze Audio E19. Its DAC Amp ( ES9028Q2M chip) with plenty of power for my HD6XX as it supposedly has a claimed 1W power output at 16 Ohms. What I like best about it is the ability to roll op-amps to tune the sound signature to my liking / preferences. Only grouse I have with it is that its a little bulky and its really dull and utilitarian in its casing design.
Not too sure about DSD256 either as I have only used DSD64 files on it so far.
Its basic version isn't iOS compatible, but there is an úpgrade version that has the compatibility, do note the detail if looking to buy it.

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 3
FiiO Q5, great device, top shelf build and sound, fantastic Bluetooth sound, and I mean fantastic, Apple certified for when you get back to your Mac land and the amp is a modular design. I have been beyond pleased with the Q5. Stupidly portable to when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back