DAC for my PC
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shortstuff

Head-Fier
So I don't know whether to put this under Computer Audio or Dedicated Source... please bare with me.

I now have a setup I am happy with except for one problem - noise.

My setup goes

Foobar2k/Spotify/* ---> Realtek motherboard ====> Yamaha A-S700 integrated amp---headphone out - Philips X2 / speaker out - Accoustic Energy Floorstanders.

The speaker side of it is sweet.

The headphone stage, I use "pure direct" to disable all of the bass/treble/balance controls. This gives me the best sound and it is much louder with pure direct turned on so I can turn the volume down and get less noise.

But the problem is after a certain amount of volume...and not really that loud, I can hear background noise through my headphones. Over the music. And with no music playing. So it means I can't turn the volume up to a good setting...and the X2's come alive the more volume you give them.

This means I end up with everything cranked on the PC side and then low volume on the amp.

I am pretty sure the problem is the realtek motherboard...which is the same motherboard I have 2 SSD's, 5 mechanical hard drives, a massive graphics card etc all connected to.

Now I had a dac once before and it was great. I don't remember the model number but it was a Beresford. This used coaxial input... but this meant I could not control the audio volume from my pc from my keyboard (which has dedicated volume) which I use A LOT.

Will a USB dac avoid this issue?

Also I run a USB headset, will a USB dac conflict with this?

Should I buy an Asus soundcard with a dac onboard and connect this to my amp? Or an Asus STU? Or a Schiit of some kind? I like my X2's sound...but they could be bassier. I get the best results turning 60HZ up slightly in foobar2k.

Thank You

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But the problem is after a certain amount of volume...and not really that loud, I can hear background noise through my headphones. Over the music. And with no music playing. So it means I can't turn the volume up to a good setting...and the X2's come alive the more volume you give them.

This means I end up with everything cranked on the PC side and then low volume on the amp.

I am pretty sure the problem is the realtek motherboard...which is the same motherboard I have 2 SSD's, 5 mechanical hard drives, a massive graphics card etc all connected to.

Technically speaking, you should have Windows at 100%, and then the amp controls the volume, unless the mobo makes waaaaaaay more than 2volts out of that output (highly doubt it). If you have it too low, even if software no longer reduces the bit depth, the problem is that the output voltage on the mobo is too low, it's a very weak signal to the amp, which means the amp will have to work harder, which means the noise might actually be coming from the amplifier, more so because it seems to work fine when Windows is at 100%.

That said, in some cases a low line out voltage has less noise even if the amp has to compensate if it is a very clean source. An iPod or an older iBasso DAC for example will only do 1.2volts from the line out, but given they're well-made battery operated devices, there isn't any noise from them, so any decent amp can easily compensate with higher gain or higher volume setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Given how desktop DACs typically stick closer to Sony's 2volt line out standard (for CDPs), then as far as output voltage goes, then yes - it can provide a stronger signal that makes the amplifier work less. However, some USB DACs pick up noise from the PC, either the power supply, the fans, practically anything else in the computer. It's not a highly common problem, but just be aware that this can happen.

Alternately if your mobo has SPDIF output (usually Optical/Toslink), get a DAC that can take in a digital signal from that, like the Modi2. At the very least, no need to worry about USB receiver drivers.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 5
  So I don't know whether to put this under Computer Audio or Dedicated Source... please bare with me.
I now have a setup I am happy with except for one problem - noise.
My setup goes
Foobar2k/Spotify/* ---> Realtek motherboard ====> Yamaha A-S700 integrated amp---headphone out - Philips X2 / speaker out - Accoustic Energy Floorstanders.
The speaker side of it is sweet.
The headphone stage, I use "pure direct" to disable all of the bass/treble/balance controls. This gives me the best sound and it is much louder with pure direct turned on so I can turn the volume down and get less noise.
I am pretty sure the problem is the Realtek motherboard...which is the same motherboard I have 2 SSD's, 5 mechanical hard drives, a massive graphics card etc all connected to.
Now I had a dac once before and it was great. I don't remember the model number but it was a Beresford. This used coaxial input... but this meant I could not control the audio volume from my pc from my keyboard (which has dedicated volume) which I use A LOT.
Also I run a USB headset, will a USB dac conflict with this?
Should I buy an Asus sound card with a dac onboard and connect this to my amp? Or an Asus STU? Or a Schiit of some kind? I like my X2's sound...but they could be bassier. I get the best results turning 60HZ up slightly in foobar2k.

FiiO E10K, USB-DAC-amp, $76.
Connect the computer's USB port to the E10K's USB port.
Connect the E10K's 3.5mm line-output jack to the RCA inputs on the Yamaha.
Plug the Philips Fidelio X2 headphone into the E10K's headphone jack.
Sell off the USB headset.

Because of impedance issues with the Yamaha's headphone jack, the E10k's headphone jack's very low output impedance should help bring out the audio detail, in the Fidelio X2, compared to the Yamaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back