DAC for Lyr2??
Aug 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zro30

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm close to taking the plunge for a Lyr 2 - pretty psyched about what it has to offer.  While that's great, I'm still unsure about a DAC for it.  The natural option would be the Bifrost, but that's a bit pricey (I know, I know....).  

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative - maybe in the $200 range?  Will the Modi work?  Or should I just go the distance?

I'll be running HE-400s through it.

Thanks

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Totally unrelated but did you have an amp for your 400s before Lyr2 and if so did you notice a big difference when you upgraded?  Would you say its worth the $450?

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 8
  Totally unrelated but did you have an amp for your 400s before Lyr2 and if so did you notice a big difference when you upgraded?  Would you say its worth the $450?

Hi nixkid,

I haven't yet purchased the Lyr2, so I can't speak to any kind of comparison.  I'm currently using the HifiMan EF2A and it actually isn't too bad, just looking for more...  And I believe the Lyr2 will deliver (and prob be worth the $450).

Any suggestions on a DAC?  Anyone?

Aug 17, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 8

Hi nixkid,

I haven't yet purchased the Lyr2, so I can't speak to any kind of comparison.  I'm currently using the HifiMan EF2A and it actually isn't too bad, just looking for more...  And I believe the Lyr2 will deliver (and prob be worth the $450).

Any suggestions on a DAC?  Anyone?

I am in a similar situation to yours. I have been using the Modi, paired with a Lyr, for roughly half a year now. It has been excellent, but I always intended to upgrade either to the Bifrost Uber or the Resonessence Concero. I know Audio-GD offers some DACs whose price range lie between the Bifrost and the Modi, but I haven't a clue at which one to consider.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 8
In my opininion the dac don't make a great difference at all, so I would stay with the Modi...
Of course it could be my ears, but I'm an old man, not a bat...

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Thinking of the lyr 2 and the bifrost as well for my he500s. If I'm short on budget I'll get the asgard 2 and Uber bifrost. I like matching stacks and I'm willing to get an asgard 2 vs the lyr 2 instead of just the lyr 2 then pairing it with my non matching fiio e17 or modi.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 8
I know very little, but this thread has a blind test and should help:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back