DAC for Laptop: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 vs HiFimeDIY Sabre 2 w/ headphone amp (or ODAC)
Feb 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

noraa

New Head-Fier
I am looking at either one of these to be DACs to feed my ATH M50s and Athena AS-B2 monitors + velodyne ct80 sub from my laptop, but can't really decide between the two. A pro that the Sabre 2 has over the Scarlett is the external PSU that I can order with it. What I am looking for is which has better sound quality, or if it's even negligible. If negligible, I will be going with the scarlett, as it does give me greater audio diversity. I hear that the Sabre 2 is very close to the ODAC, so the ODAC can be used as reference as well.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 4
  I am looking at either one of these to be DACs to feed my ATH M50s and Athena AS-B2 monitors + velodyne ct80 sub from my laptop, but can't really decide between the two. A pro that the Sabre 2 has over the Scarlett is the external PSU that I can order with it. What I am looking for is which has better sound quality, or if it's even negligible. If negligible, I will be going with the scarlett, as it does give me greater audio diversity. I hear that the Sabre 2 is very close to the ODAC, so the ODAC can be used as reference as well.

The ODAC comes with a single line-output (not a headphone output), where as the 2i2 comes with both a headphone jack and several line-outputs.
Were you planning on just to keep switching cables with the ODAC, between a headphone amplifier and the speakers,
Are you using the Velodyne CT80 to drive the AS-B2 or do you have a separate speaker amplifier?

FiiO E10 USB-DAC-amp, $75, comes with a line-output for the speakers and a amplified headphone jack.
(i would expect the E10 to have a better DAC chip, then the 2i2)

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 4
I have a lepai 2020a that goes into my sub (originally it went into the athenas, and that was before I had the sub). I'm from Canada and the e10 costs almost as much as the 2i2. I wasn't considering the odac; buying that along with the headphone amp is out of my budget. I just want to compare the quality of the 2i2 and the sabre 2.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 4

Wow I also have the exact same question as you are!
I have a pair of Rokit 6G2 and a HD 439. Still looking for a dac that's has volume control for the Monitor, as well as a headphone out put. I ran into these 2 product too. 
Anyway, I really looking forward to hear from you guy's opinion. To me the 2i2 is better because it has 2 separate volume control, but I also heard that the headphone out is bad. If only the 2i2's SQ is better than the HiFimeDIY Sabre 2, I'm sold. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back