DAC for iPhone 6?
Dec 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Bum0

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I was wondering if a DAC amp would help when using the iPhone 6+? I listen to a lot of different music but mainly looking for cleaner vocals & instruments, and a thumpier bass. And if so any suggestions? And what minimum $$$ range should I be looking at?
I am using them now with Shure 535, VSDS3 coming in mail just to try but thinking maybe another IE8/800 to replace my lost IE8
Thanks for any info!

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 27
There are quite a few that work with the iPhone 6+, some that require less painful setup than others. I've tried a few with my 6+ and they seem to open up the sound stage a bit, but nothing dramatic. Some of them allow you to bass boost or setup the EQ on the device to boost the bass if you wish. If you're missing bass with your 535...that's not the phone :p That's the Shures. I have the same headset that i use with my 6+. If I want better bass, I plug in my vsonic gr07 be's (i notice more of a difference with amps with the GR07's than I do with the Shure's).

If it were my money and I had plenty to spend, I'd probably go with the Centrance HIFI-M8.

I've got a Beyerdynamic A200p. I'd say it's pretty lackluster. I just picked up a Creative E5 and there are a few software issues that are bothering me. I know those 3 will work just plugging the iphone into them.

If you're willing to use a camera connection kit (more cables and crap to carry around), then the world is your oyster. You should be able to use any of the Fiio's that people talk about nonstop on here and on reddit. There's a lot to choose from if you don't mind lugging around the extra cable. Just take a look at the various ones listed on the first page of the Portable Headphone Amps forum.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 27
Hello,

I was going to comment on the Centrance HiFi M8. I own one, it is outstanding and works awesome with the iPhone 6+.

I use it with Bose Noise Canceling Headphones.

I am selling mine because I don't like to lug around the cables and power supply. Pls contact me if you wish to discuss.

I've also used the DACport, which is what I will buy to replace the HiFi M8.

N

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 27
Wait for their new i5.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/take-your-iphone-to-the-next-level-today

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 27
There are quite a few that work with the iPhone 6+, some that require less painful setup than others. I've tried a few with my 6+ and they seem to open up the sound stage a bit, but nothing dramatic. Some of them allow you to bass boost or setup the EQ on the device to boost the bass if you wish. If you're missing bass with your 535...that's not the phone :p That's the Shures. I have the same headset that i use with my 6+. If I want better bass, I plug in my vsonic gr07 be's (i notice more of a difference with amps with the GR07's than I do with the Shure's).

If it were my money and I had plenty to spend, I'd probably go with the Centrance HIFI-M8.

I've got a Beyerdynamic A200p. I'd say it's pretty lackluster. I just picked up a Creative E5 and there are a few software issues that are bothering me. I know those 3 will work just plugging the iphone into them.

If you're willing to use a camera connection kit (more cables and crap to carry around), then the world is your oyster. You should be able to use any of the Fiio's that people talk about nonstop on here and on reddit. There's a lot to choose from if you don't mind lugging around the extra cable. Just take a look at the various ones listed on the first page of the Portable Headphone Amps forum.

Hmmm.. I'll have to read up on the GR07's. Maybe my IE8 replacement. :)
What did you mean about the extra cabling with the camera kit? I'm assuming a lightning - USB adaptor, USB cable to amp and plug in earphones. Or is there something else? Wouldn't all DACs work this way?
With the Creative E5, the iPhone 6 sends the digital signal automatically to the amp like by playing thru the Music app? Or is this where there are some software issues on the iPhone side?
Thanks!

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 27
Dec 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 27
Lightning to usb camera cable going into the iPhone, usb cable from that going to amp, depending on how much amp pulls. A powered usb hub may be required if the iPhone gives you a power draw message. On my iPhone now and just realized there is a post before this one explaining things so I'm gonna stop thumbing my phone now :p

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 27
You can't just was Lightning to USB Male, you have to use the Apple CCK (Lightning to USB Female) to get higher bit rate for your iP6.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Camera-Adapter-MD821ZM/dp/B009WHV3XA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418842820&sr=8-2&keywords=apple+cck&pebp=1418842827623

This is because the CCK has the necessary chipset for the correct output into portable DACs with USB inputs.  However, CCK is not necessary when the DAC is Apple certified like the E5.

Thanks. I was actually looking at that same cable on Amazon, just didn't describe it properly. And thanks for the addnl interesting info. I'll look into the E5 as well I guess that would save me the hassle of maintaining a CCK cable. I have a tendency to wear thru cables, specifically lightning ones :p. Altho I was hoping to get an amp that has customization options and some sort of display

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 27
Lightning to usb camera cable going into the iPhone, usb cable from that going to amp, depending on how much amp pulls. A powered usb hub may be required if the iPhone gives you a power draw message. On my iPhone now and just realized there is a post before this one explaining things so I'm gonna stop thumbing my phone now :p

So the amp may pull power from the iPhone? I thought these portable DACs all have batteries? Or does this still occur anyway? And just trying to understand... all DACs are considered amps b/c the analog signal must be created, right? Also then most DACs can amplify an analog signal as well?
Thanks

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 27
So the amp may pull power from the iPhone? I thought these portable DACs all have batteries? Or does this still occur anyway? And just trying to understand... all DACs are considered amps b/c the analog signal must be created, right? Also then most DACs can amplify an analog signal as well?
Thanks

Yes, but I wouldn't call it pulling power, as the iPhone has to work to send out a signal after all.  The difference being that if you use a CCK with an USB DAC that's not exactly Apple approved, your iPhone may not have enough voltage for the input, and this is why you might need to have a powered hub in between the CCK and the DAC for this.  Also, not all DACs have analog input, especially iPhone DACs, as they assume you just want an all digital connection.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 27
Thanks

DACs do not amplify.

DAC stands for digital to analog converter.  All they do is convert the digital signal (from usb on a computer, toslink, or the lightning jack on an iphone, etc) to an analog signal - that which makes headphones and speakers make noise.

Amps take the analog signal and amplify it to a reasonable volume level.  Some amps will also color the sound.

These are 2 separate functions, but there are many devices out there that include both.  Your iphone is one of them.  However, on the amp side of things, it may not perform as well as an external amp.  However, to get the sound from from your iphone to an external amp without losing quality, it's considered best to use an external DAC as well, either separately or in an all in one device.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 27
Doesn't seem to work with iPhone 6+. I don't want a phone-specific DAC when I replace my phone every couple of years, max.

Sure, you have any idea or what price range or functions you like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back