DAC for Graham slee voyager and DT770M. $200 budget.
Aug 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bforeman

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been browsing for a while.

I have been spending a lot of time working with data lately and want to upgrade my sound setup due to the sheer amount of pleasure it brings me. 

I need a semi mobile setup. My work laptop has a very crappy soundcard and I am often listening to music from my ipod. I have a graham slee voyager and beyerdynamic dt770M's (80ohm). I would like to get a USB dac and listen to music from a computer library.

What DAC would suit my current setup? Am i better off selling my graham slee voyager and getting a USB dac/amp?

Please let me know!

Bryce

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 11
If mobility is a concern JDS Lab's C5D is a perfect solution! The Amp/Dac Combo works great with Beyerdynamic DT-770s and if you are interested you can read this article on the combo http://www.head-fi.org/t/690778/jds-labs-c5d-headphone-amp-dac. I am aware you were just looking for a dac, but at the second hand (used) price of just over $200 the C5D is a perfect product for what you need. :D At least in my opinion...

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Get an ODAC: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/.

The Graham Slee website doesn't provide any specs on it: http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/voyagerportableheadphoneamplifier.htm. Difficult to compare it to other headphone amps without specs.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Frankly, I doubt it. The Voyager may look and feel like a piece of junk in a plastic project box, but its sound is quite something else. It has to rank among the top 5 affordable portable amps. Don't get rid of it!

One of the cheapest options would be to get an ODAC to use with your Voyager. It won't do 192KHz, but it excels in all the other disciplines!

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 11
Frankly, I doubt it. The Voyager may look and feel like a piece of junk in a plastic project box, but its sound is quite something else. It has to rank among the top 5 affordable portable amps. Don't get rid of it!

Seems like a lot of hype. I found the specs. The link was near the bottom of the page. Pretty weak headphone amplifier:

12mW rms into 32 Ohms, 10mW rms into 600 Ohms

Crosstalk and distortion specs don't support it being anything special

Stereo Crosstalk -52dB
Distortion (THD+Noise) at 80Hz: 0.03%, at 1 kHz: 0.03%, at 5.6 kHz: 0.05%, at 16 kHz: 0.13%

Based on specs, the amp in the JDS Labs C5D is a much better performer. Heck, a FiiO A3 (formerly E11K) is a better performer based on the specs, and a good CMOY design can perform as well or better.

Doesn't seem like anything special to me, just way overpriced.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 11
Despite its pedestrian specs, the Voyager is a good amp (subjectively speaking). The same is true of most of GS' products.

Based on pure measured performance, the Kondo Ongaku would be a pile of junk...

Ultimately, only subjective listening impressions can be the basis for judgement.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Despite its pedestrian specs, the Voyager is a good amp (subjectively speaking). The same is true of most of GS' products.

Based on pure measured performance, the Kondo Ongaku would be a pile of junk...

Ultimately, only subjective listening impressions can be the basis for judgement.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Most subjective listening tests are highly flawed, IMO (based on audio science).

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #9 of 11
Seems like a lot of hype. I found the specs. The link was near the bottom of the page. Pretty weak headphone amplifier:

12mW rms into 32 Ohms, 10mW rms into 600 Ohms

Crosstalk and distortion specs don't support it being anything special

Stereo Crosstalk -52dB
Distortion (THD+Noise) at 80Hz: 0.03%, at 1 kHz: 0.03%, at 5.6 kHz: 0.05%, at 16 kHz: 0.13%

Based on specs, the amp in the JDS Labs C5D is a much better performer. Heck, a FiiO A3 (formerly E11K) is a better performer based on the specs, and a good CMOY design can perform as well or better.

Doesn't seem like anything special to me, just way overpriced.

Have you actually heard the Voyager or do you just feel you don't need to.

One think the Voyager doesn't get is hype l. It's an unassuming plain looking device

It sounds bl**dy great whatever the specs. Smooth dynamic, analogue. Built to last a lifetime of obuse. 100 hour battery. If you're looking enough to own one Do Not sell it.

whats a C5D anyway?!?

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the responses guys!

The JDS ODAC looks very affordable and would work well. That is on my radar if I choose to keep my current setup. 

What if I make changes in the future? Eg. Upgraded phones. Is there a $300-$400 usb amp/dac that will blow the GSV/ODAC combo out of the water? I do not require portable battery power, I just want to be able to fit the amp/dac in my laptop bag so I can bring it with me from office to office. I am typically set up in a workstation for a few weeks at a time. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all the responses guys!

The JDS ODAC looks very affordable and would work well. That is on my radar if I choose to keep my current setup. 

What if I make changes in the future? Eg. Upgraded phones. Is there a $300-$400 usb amp/dac that will blow the GSV/ODAC combo out of the water? I do not require portable battery power, I just want to be able to fit the amp/dac in my laptop bag so I can bring it with me from office to office. I am typically set up in a workstation for a few weeks at a time. 

I'm not familiar with your amp, but I've heard the ODAC. Have a look at an Audiquest Dragonfly. Sonically, it's a significant improvement. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back