DAC for Grado RS1 and MAD Ear+ for ~$500
Feb 22, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Escape Your Mind

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been trying to look for a DAC that has good synergy with the Grado RS1s and Mapletree Ear+ HD. I'm trying to stay around $500 but am flexible enough if something stands out.

I have been searching for days and unlike when looking for an amp for the RS1's, nothing has really stood out as the DAC that pairs well. Hopefully some of you out there that have the RS1's and Ear+ HD can comment on the DACs that your using or recommend ones to consider.

It seems like the only option is the Audio-gd DAC-19, and maybe the new Nuforce HDP (but it is too early to tell).

In case it matters, I'll be feeding the DAC from my computer, and in terms of music, I mostly listen to progressive metal, and classical.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 10
I really like my Cambridge Audio DacMagic with my MAD Ear +HD amp and Grado RS1i headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
. The other one I really liked was the PS Audio Digital Link III.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm using a borrowed MAD Ear+ amp, my HF-2s and a Pico dac. Sounds amazing!

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm in the same boat, looking for a dedicated dac for the Ear+HD. My current choice would be the PSA DLIII, never listened to it but there's a lot written on how performs and fits al the traits i'm looking for. My problem is being unable to find one with a EU 220v PSU on the second hand market.

Meanwhile i'm really looking forward to Audio-Gd, if they put out a dac out in the same line as the current DAC 19 with 24/96 USB i'll go for it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the input guys, looks like I will need to do a bit more reading on the PSA DLIII, DacMagic and Pico.

From the look of it though, I can't go wrong with any of the big names mentioned often around here with the RS1 and MAD Ear+ HD combo.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Just joining this thread because I have the RS1i and ordered the Ear+ HD. I was also thinking about a dedicated dac in the same price range. Incidentally, I also listen to a lot of progressive metal.
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just joining this thread because I have the RS1i and ordered the Ear+ HD. I was also thinking about a dedicated dac in the same price range. Incidentally, I also listen to a lot of progressive metal.
icon10.gif

Hey don,

I remember, big DT fan here too. Train Of Thought sounds delicious on the Ear+HD with RS1i...
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey don,

I remember, big DT fan here too. Train Of Thought sounds delicious on the Ear+HD with RS1i...
biggrin.gif

Oh man, I can hardly wait. Long wait time, but there's now only 2 in front of my order in the queue. Mmmmm, going for some Awake now...haven't heard that one in awhile.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 10
haha oh man, don't even get me started on some progressive metal.. it's all about the 2nd disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Thanks for the recommendation on the V-DAC as well Heatfan.

Would any of you guys say that the dac your using adds any coloration, or are they neutral for the most part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back