DAC for Everything.
Sep 17, 2015 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Happytalk

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking for a DAC that can handle a few specifics. Coax from a cd player, ipod classic, iphone, Macbook pro, DX90. Any favorites under $500? Used is preferred, actually. This will mainly be used for a stereo. Sansui au717 powering Vandersteen 1C's. However, I often use my HD600's straight from the headphone jack of the amp. Quite happy with it this way.

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Looking for a DAC that can handle a few specifics. Coax from a cd player, ipod classic, iphone, Macbook pro, DX90. Any favorites under $500? Used is preferred, actually. This will mainly be used for a stereo. Sansui au717 powering Vandersteen 1C's. However, I often use my HD600's straight from the headphone of the amp. Quite happy with it this way.

Not all of those at the same time, but the Shanling H1.1 can accomodate most of those simultaneously. DX50 via coax, CDP via toslink (it only has one coax, and I assume the CDP is more likely to have toslink because the DX50 certainly, absolutely, does NOT), iOS and maybe iPod devices (check with Shanling) via the USB-A iDevice input, Macbook through the regular USB-B input.

AFAIK the headphone amp is decent also.

Also if you don't have one, I'd get a sync dock for the iPhone (and iPod, whichever works; or heck, both) so you just swap the cable at the dock (ie use a converter for the lightning/30-pin). When you'd use either you just dock the device and maybe swap the cable (if you used the other the last time), then you get to run it. I do the same thing with my system - I get home, dock the phone, power it on and let the amp warm up while I shower, then listen after I dry my hair.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 5
I recently got the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 ($450) to use as a balanced DAC with my someday-to-arrive Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp.  The headphone out on the DC-1 is actually pretty good, but I bought it because it has coax, optical and USB inputs and a remote that you can drive nails with. It's also a decent size - 1/2 rack width - approx 9x9 inches.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I had my Gustard X12 for a couple of months ago got it for $450 off ebay tho it can be found on amazon in the 430-500 range as well. Its a really good unit and it has inputs Coaxial,Optical,Aes,I2S besides USB. IT has balanced and RCA for outputs. It has a led with buttons on the front to select the inputs, Sound plays out both the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time.  I have my JBL 305's plugged into its XLR and my Gustard H10 plugged into its RCA. It haven't gave me any problems at all and been working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back