DAC for CD Player/stereo?
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

markm1

Headphoneus Supremus
As, I'm researching DACS, I'm realizing that much of my listening is still to CD's on a dedicated CD player through a speaker system and through a headphone amp.  And some streaming through a streamer that is also part of my speaker system..

Clearly, a lot of people don't listen to CDs anymore. Many of you listen to much of your music digitally on computers, mp3's players, etc.

But, for those of us who sill listen to CD's, I'm curious if head-fiers use external DACS with dedicated CD Players/stereo systems?  I.e., if it's worth investing in a nice DAC if maybe 70% of your dedicated listening is with a dedicated rig via CD rather than digitized music.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 3
I still have a CD player to play discs. A good CD player can play 44.1KHz/16Bit music with far more clarity and emotion than a 24Bit/192KHz media PC system. And that's with an external DAC. So the CDP is being used as just a transport.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
if it's worth investing in a nice DAC if maybe 70% of your dedicated listening is with a dedicated rig via CD

Realistically? Probably not. Depends on the quality and age of the DAC component of  your existing CDP.  It is very unlikely that by adding any modern dedicated interface with DAC capability your signal quality will get worse but it probably won't get much better either.

I'd still consider getting a decent audio interface though. It will set you off on an excellent and cost effective upgrade path. Get one with lots of input and output options and big knobs, sliders and switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back