DAC for Cans and Mic
Jul 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

SMOR3S

100+ Head-Fier
     Item I want: DAC
     Price Range/Budget: $0-$200

Was looking into getting a DAC for my cans and mic, as well as something that would be decent as an audio interface, for sound monitoring, when I need to listen to frequencies closely, as I produce music. I am currently using some SteelSeries USB Soundcard, and lord forbid... this thing is meh... drivers are incompatible with Windows, and Windows drivers their self aren't to great... I am thinking about a DAC, cause they are all in one, and some even come with pre amps/amps (correct me if I am wrong about that..)

I was looking into getting the M-Audio MobilePre, cause my friend has one, and it works good for the purpose that he is using it for, which is relatively close to my scenario as well..

I found this one on Ebay for $90 and it's still Brand New (supposedly).. They are like $150 brand new on Sweetwater, so I feel this is a good deal...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-MobilePre-Recording-Interface-NEVER-USED-w-PRO-TOOLS-7-Extras-/280927144997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168900c25

If anyone has any recommendations on DAC's, then let me know, cause I would like to possibly get the best for my price range..

Thanks,

- SMOR3S - Kevin -

Jul 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 38
Quote:
     Item I want: DAC
     Price Range/Budget: $0-$200

Was looking into getting a DAC for my cans and mic, as well as something that would be decent as an audio interface, for sound monitoring, when I need to listen to frequencies closely, as I produce music. I am currently using some SteelSeries USB Soundcard, and lord forbid... this thing is meh... drivers are incompatible with Windows, and Windows drivers their self aren't to great... I am thinking about a DAC, cause they are all in one, and some even come with pre amps/amps (correct me if I am wrong about that..)

I was looking into getting the M-Audio MobilePre, cause my friend has one, and it works good for the purpose that he is using it for, which is relatively close to my scenario as well..

I found this one on Ebay for $90 and it's still Brand New (supposedly).. They are like $150 brand new on Sweetwater, so I feel this is a good deal...

If anyone has any recommendations on DAC's, then let me know, cause I would like to possibly get the best for my price range..

DAC, Digital to Analog Converter.
Your mic would use an ADC, Analog to Digital Converter.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:
DAC, Digital to Analog Converter.
Your mic would use an ADC, Analog to Digital Converter.

Would it matter really, cause if I just use XLR then I could plug the mic into an XLR lead, or use XLR to 1/4", cause my mic is XLR... I do see where you are coming from, and I can't test your knowledge... I mean, I am an audiophile, but you probably know more :3..

+ Could you recommend some good audio sources... I like the MobilePre, but I can't help to think that there is probably something better....

I know, I know... It's all about testing and experimenting, and I could go to my local Guitar Center, and test some cans with audio sources, in their sound booths, but I honestly just need something that will work...

- SMOR3S

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:
Would it matter really, cause if I just use XLR then I could plug the mic into an XLR lead, or use XLR to 1/4", cause my mic is XLR... I do see where you are coming from, and I can't test your knowledge... I mean, I am an audiophile, but you probably know more :3..

+ Could you recommend some good audio sources... I like the MobilePre, but I can't help to think that there is probably something better....

I know, I know... It's all about testing and experimenting, and I could go to my local Guitar Center, and test some cans with audio sources, in their sound booths, but I honestly just need something that will work...

- SMOR3S

Yes, it would matter. A mic transmits analog signals, so they would need to be converted to digital. A "digital to analog" converter can't do that. Also, not sure what you mean by audio source. The MobilePre is a preamp.

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:
Yes, it would matter. A mic transmits analog signals, so they would need to be converted to digital. A "digital to analog" converter can't do that. Also, not sure what you mean by audio source. The MobilePre is a preamp.

I am looking for something like a Soundcard, but in a unit like that.... DAC's aren't soundcards too?

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:
I am looking for something like a Soundcard, but in a unit like that.... DAC's aren't soundcards too?

DACs are not really sound card.
Sound card contain DACs and ADCs.
"Sound card" usually means it contains an audio processor (which is not a DAC).

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 38
Quote:
So if I was to get something like an ASUS Xonar STX, it comes with a preamp, and good audio processing, would that be something I am looking for?

The Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card comes with one set of analog RCA (line-out) output jacks.
A line-out signal can be sent out the front of case headphone jack, if so desired.
7.1 headphone surround sound audio can be sent out the back panel's 1/4 headphone jack and the "Front Panel" headphone jack.
The STX comes with the PCM1792A DAC
Surround sound audio processing can also be sent out the S/PDIF (coaxial & optical) connection, to an external DAC.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:
The Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card comes with one set of analog RCA (line-out) output jacks.
A line-out signal can be sent out the front of case headphone jack, if so desired.
7.1 headphone surround sound audio can be sent out the back panel's 1/4 headphone jack and the "Front Panel" headphone jack.
The STX comes with the PCM1792A DAC
Surround sound audio processing can also be sent out the S/PDIF (coaxial & optical) connection, to an external DAC.

I am also wanting to use a pair of Stereo Speakers that have speaker wire... Would I need a soundbar or a receiver to even use them with my computer... I am totally lost when it comes to that lol :3...

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

I am also wanting to use a pair of Stereo Speakers that have speaker wire... Would I need a soundbar or a receiver to even use them with my computer... I am totally lost when it comes to that lol :3...

Minimum of some sort of speaker amplifier, sometimes people can find a decent receiver of Craigslist for $50.
Usually there are low priced speaker amplifiers sold on eBay.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 38
I made a post about a receiver I found on Craigslist for $35... I would like to know if it has a line in for a soundcard..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620578/tecknics-sa-160-stereo-receiver-question

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:
I made a post about a receiver I found on Craigslist for $35... I would like to know if it has a line in for a soundcard..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620578/tecknics-sa-160-stereo-receiver-question

Should do the job, just run RCA cables from the Essence STX to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back