DAC for CAL! / M50
Sep 30, 2015 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bosiwollig

Head-Fier
Hello,

I want to buy a DAC/AMP option for my computer/laptop. I've got an ATH-M50 and a creative aurvana live (same as denon denon d1001)I was thinking about a FIIO E10K or the Q1.

The Q1 looks nice because it is portable, but I don't think it will work with my devices in DAC mode (Sandisk Sansa clip+ and Samsung Galaxy S2).The DAC functionality will of course still work with my laptop/computer.
What kind of device do you need to use the Q1 when using it on-the-go in DAC mode? Is this only for ipods/iphones and some android phones with a specific app?

Which one would you get (FIIO E10K or FIIO Q1 or ...) and why ? I listen to many genres, so I'm looking for an all-rounder.

Thank you

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm debating between these two also...

@twister6 
  I hope someone can compare this with FiiO E10K. :)

E10k is a one trick pony for desktop/laptop usb dac functionality, and it does it quite well with its big front easy to access volume pot.  Q1 is more like a jack of all trades, slim and portable and can be run standalone without depending on a source power.  E10k signature is warmer, smoother, and a bit less transparent.  Aside from a sound sig difference (10k pairs up better with neutral or brighter headphones), if you want more flexibility - Q1 is the way to go, but for a desktop use only with easier access to a volume adjustment - E10k.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Why do you need dac/amp for M50?  It's super efficient and easy to drive from any source.  Unless if output of your laptop is really noisy and dark sounding (M50 is warm/bassy to begin with).  I mean, for laptop use E10k is a better solution because it's easier to operate, but if you want to bring out more details in your M50, maybe try Schiit FULLA instead.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 10
@twister6 

In my case, I'm going to pair it with my HD 598's for gaming. I know the E10K will give me better quality but I would like something that's portable too. So, will I be sacrificing a little or a lot of performance for portability?   

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 10
  @twister6 

In my case, I'm going to pair it with my HD 598's for gaming. I know the E10K will give me better quality but I would like something that's portable too. So, will I be sacrificing a little or a lot of performance for portability?   

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with HD598 and their sound signature to comment about synergy with E10k, but I think it worth a shot.  Besides, if you order from Amazon - you can always return it back :wink:   Also, keep in mind FiiO has a ton of new stuff due for release in the next month or two.  Might worth waiting a little bit to see whats up.

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 10

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with HD598 and their sound signature to comment about synergy with E10k, but I think it worth a shot.  Besides, if you order from Amazon - you can always return it back :wink:   Also, keep in mind FiiO has a ton of new stuff due for release in the next month or two.  Might worth waiting a little bit to see whats up.

Thanks for the reply, yeah ill def wait and see what they come out with 
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Thank you for the replies!
The reason I'll be buying a DAC is because the audio from my desktop sucks.And how does the shiit FULLA compare to the Fiio E10K? 
And have you got a list/idea what fiio will be releasing?

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 10
  Thank you for the replies!
The reason I'll be buying a DAC is because the audio from my desktop sucks.And how does the shiit FULLA compare to the Fiio E10K? 
And have you got a list/idea what fiio will be releasing?

I am in exactly the same situation:
Looking for DAC / AMP for my laptop.

I was also trying to decide between the trio:
E10K, Q1, Schiit FULLA.

As for waiting - do not bother, since nothing is coming in that category.  see:
http://www.tinbel.com/2015/09/12/new-products-introduced-at-fiio-fall-2015-launch-event/ 

The Q1 is the only DAC/AMP (and it is already out!).

So, back to the original question:
What are the pros and cons between the 3 options, for use as DAC/AMP ?

FULLA seems most portable.
E10K seems least portable.
Q1 is only option with battery, in case you'd want to use it as stand-alone AMP.
The big question in my mind is - how do those 3 compare in SQ ?

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 10
  Hmm yeah, it's really hard to decide.What about the fiio k5, it's also a DAC/amp combo. Or is it just an amp, I'm a little bit confused...

From what I've seen, K5 seems like a cradle for X7, maybe it will work with other Android devices, if the USB connector is placed correctly (for some reason Samsung likes to place it upside-down)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back