DAC for Audioengine A2?
Apr 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

homers54321

100+ Head-Fier
My A2 should be arriving pretty soon and I will be using them through my laptop. Im almost positive my laptop's soundcard is awful. Should I get a USB DAC? and will it make a big difference?

Also, is this how it works? Laptop > USB cable > DAC > mini to RCA > speakers?

I listen primarily through internet radio (pandora.com) and sometimes mp3s through winamp (mostly bit rate 128-192kbps, a few 320kbps)

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 11
this is my setup

itunes>320kbps/lossless>usb cable>emu0404 usb>splitter>A2 and polk subwoofer (both independently powered)

turning up the knob on the emu0404 increases sub and speakers, acting as a master
while i can almost eliminate the sub by turning the knob on the emu and turning up the A2 on the speaker itself

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 11
IMO, you don't need a DAC for the setup you propose...the quality of the files you're listening to aren't that great and internet radio isn't that good, either. if you do end up listening to higher quality music, a DAC can help...in that case, i would suggest the nuforce icon portable...

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 11
I received my A2 today and I am very impressed. I properly set them up at ear level, hooked them up to my laptop, and went straight to pandora.com. All I can say is that these are very powerful speakers considering their compact size and they are awesome for near-field listening. Im going to hold off on the DAC as these sound very good alone right now.

I highly recommend these for near-field listening and small rooms. Just make sure you put them at ear level. I made the mistake of putting my previous A5s on the floor and found that they just sounded okay.

Audioengine has a great little product in the A2 and along with their great customer support, I dont think there is a better deal out there for 2.0 speakers <$200.

EDIT: I think the A2 have a lot of bass. Many people have said they are lacking in bass but they are very sufficient for me

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by homers54321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my A2 today and I am very impressed. I properly set them up at ear level, hooked them up to my laptop, and went straight to pandora.com. All I can say is that these are very powerful speakers considering their compact size and they are awesome for near-field listening. Im going to hold off on the DAC as these sound very good alone right now.

I highly recommend these for near-field listening and small rooms. Just make sure you put them at ear level. I made the mistake of putting my previous A5s on the floor and found that they just sounded okay.

Audioengine has a great little product in the A2 and along with their great customer support, I dont think there is a better deal out there for 2.0 speakers <$200.

EDIT: I think the A2 have a lot of bass. Many people have said they are lacking in bass but they are very sufficient for me

Get a subwoofer THEN try telling yourself that. Trust me, they lack bass. In fact, I compared them to the Swans and I concluded that they lacked mids too. A2 mids are relatively muffled. However, they play very well and loud for their size.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 11
I gave my brother a pair of A2s for Christmas and they sounded great. Added to an E-MU 0202 USB they sounded even better, and the bass was significantly more controlled from what I can remember. And better still, once an Aperion Audio 10" sub was added it revealed the lack of bass coming from the A2s alone.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 11
I don't understand those that think the A2s lack bass. In fact I had to EQ that down for balance when I listened. More control though I do get.

Anyway, don't go crazy on the DAC as the A2s aren't the most revealing, but very, very good overall for the price and size. They were designed for Squeezebox use (before Slim Devices was sold). That still seems a great combo in several ways (and an underappreciated DAC).

And if you can take the bitrate of Pandora, don't miss all the wealth of all the WFMU out there:

WFMU | 91.1fm
WFMU's Recent Archives
wfmu Podcasts
WFMU Playlists and Archives

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by homers54321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You never know what you're missing until you actually get a sub.
wink.gif

You are still missing a third of the spectrum. A DAC will help SIGNIFICANTLY, but with your poor bitrates, you may be able to slide without one. But with 320 kbps or FLAC, the difference with and without a DAC will be HUGE.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 11
Even with lossy-compressed mp3 files, having a good DAC makes a positive and enjoyable difference, IMO.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, you don't need a DAC for the setup you propose...the quality of the files you're listening to aren't that great and internet radio isn't that good, either. if you do end up listening to higher quality music, a DAC can help...in that case, i would suggest the nuforce icon portable...

The funny thing is my buddy has A2s and a nuforce dac but when I threw my fubar ii on it, the difference was night and day. Even with his 128 mp3s.

I'd get something decent (between 100-200). You'll definitely hear a difference. Try to buy it from a place with a 30 day return policy in case it doesn't work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back