DAC for ATH-AD900's
Feb 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ryan1894

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of second hand AD900s, and I'm really enjoying it, but it seems that Realtek "High Definition Audio" isn't really keeping up with the headphones anymore...

I'm probably looking to spend between $200-300 AUD for a DAC.

I have looked around and sorta listed down some suggestions for a DAC:

- Firestone Audio Fubar IV
- VALAB Style DAC
- DACMagic
- Some recommend Beresford TC-7520 – at least the ones (who I think) that aren't biased.
- Aune
- EMU-0404
- iBasso D10
- MF VDAC
- Nuforce Icon µDac
- Headamp Pico dac only

I have absolutely no idea how much these things cost - but I know that the DACMagic is sorta out of my budget. ($550 AUD)

The person who sold me the AD900's personally uses a Beresford TC-7520 and says its good - but then I have seen people say its good, and some that claim its bad, and such. Keep in mind that the TC-7520 is $300 AUD, and that the Asus Essence STX is $200 AUD.

I'm looking for something that could be sourced easily from Australia, or at least easily shipped to Australia.

EDIT: I'm not really considering spending more on a seperate headphone amp, so it would help if the headphone amp was included on the DAC, or included in the budget...

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 27
The STX was a good piece of gear for me to start with. It is alright as a dac and has a headphone amp too so assuming you have space for one, I'd go with that. It's super easy to sell them too here or on OCAU.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 27
"It is alright as a dac and has a headphone amp too so assuming you have space for one, I'd go with that."

Thats the 5th person to vouch for STX, and theres only one person (on my other thread) that supports Beresford TC-7250

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 27
Well I wouldn't trust everyone you know.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 27
I'd really suggest the ASUS Essence STX.
One major advantage is that.. later on when you buy a better DAC(im talking about $350-$400 up) you can use the STX's line out.. which is really nice.

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 27
I want to get something thats relatively easy to source from Australia...

eBay is fine - but it seems that I can't find Audio-GD Fun anywhere...

btw I will probably be using USB or SPDIF/TOSLINK.

Or if its a card - then using PCI or PCIE - PCI would be better.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 27
From reading posts on these forums and on other forums, I have come up with the following.

Musiland > DACMagic
DACMagic = Compass
DACMagic > Beresford
DACMagic > EMU-0404
DACMagic ~ Essence STX

So would Musiland be the best choice?

Seems pretty cheap considering its meant to be better than the STX.

BTW I will not be using any separate Headphone Amp...or anything like that.

Hopefully it will be like:

foobar2000 > ASIO4ALL > Optical Out > Musiland Monitor 02US > ATH-AD900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back