DAC for around 1500$ to match my HD800
May 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 63
Did you buy it new? I would suggest you contact the supplier if you did, as it is probably a grounding issue or maybe you just have very high magnetic interference where you live.
It's nice to see someone content with what they have and to be honest you are currently at a point where you can't really improve your setup.

May 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #32 of 63
Yes I bought it new, it fell of the table once, so I dunno if it caused any damage. it's apparent in certain songs and much less apprant or no existent in certain songs. so it's really confusing!
I tried removing my speakers and other magnetic components but to no avail. I didn;t notice the hum before it fell off the table but I dunno if that's a possible cause.
I just cried from Adele 21 album one and only track, it was tear of happyness, isn't that gay? :p
it just sounds so real with the HD800 it's like i'm there!

one thing that's bothering me though, I do have the urge to upgrade but I need to keep in mind that there won't be anything significant and the enjoyment of this hooby is the journey of upgrading so i'll just restrain myself and just pack on the excitement later on :) seems like a fun choice, but the Source issue is bothering me

Edit: Have you tried the SPL Twintube app or the ozone 4?
The spl twintube makes some noticeable improvements using the harmonics function I honestly recommend it

May 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #33 of 63
Sounds like you broke a connection inside most likely causing a grounding issue. 
Music is made to provoke and express emotions so surely crying is a good thing and you can always blame it on those onions you were chopping 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #36 of 63
I'm so happy I got into the deep venues of music.. honestly it's such a nice journey and satisfaction, youre never bored :)
not many people are exposed to this, and quite honestly are not interested.
how can one be content from "radio" type of sound? I have the urge to upgrade but I'm rational and would like to do that with good taste and not just buy irrational decisions if you know what I mean, not like I want it right now so I'm gonna buy it, the thing is I'd like to experiment as much as possible 

May 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 63

Quote:
Well I don't really believe that dacs past a certain point make a difference so I would advise against it as at most it would be a very tiny improvement.

I have an iBasso DB-2, using my Oppo BDP-95 as a transport coax SPDIF to DB-2 to my tube amp, it sounds excellent, very close to my BDP-95 as a DAC feeding my tube amp. I listen on an HE-6 can.

May 22, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #41 of 63
I'm a firm believer in source first, headphones second and third is amp.  For $1500, I would recommend audio-gd reference series dac or metric Halo ULN-2
normal_smile%20.gif

I've owned the emu0404 few years ago and wouldn't recommend it.  If you want a dac in the $200-$300 price range, I would just get the headamp USB DAC off the used forum.

May 22, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #42 of 63

what about the dac I linked here? is it decent?
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in source first, headphones second and third is amp.  For $1500, I would recommend audio-gd reference series dac or metric Halo ULN-2
normal_smile%20.gif

I've owned the emu0404 few years ago and wouldn't recommend it.  If you want a dac in the $200-$300 price range, I would just get the headamp USB DAC off the used forum.

May 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #45 of 63
Well I find that the emu0404 is thin and clinical sounding in my opinion.  I'm not too familiar with the measurements as I use my ears to measure how good the sound is.  I moved from the emu0404 to the apogee minidac then to headamp usb dac.  Both of the later ones, i find, are superior dacs to the emu0404.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back