DAC for AKG K701 and Matrix M-Stage
Jan 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Inconsistent

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have just recently order a Matrix M-Stage for my AKG K701s and was wondering what kind of DAC I should purchase next for my setup. I am currently using my desktop and HM601 for listening, my desktop is only using onboard sound but I'm not sure if purchasing a sound card or external DAC would be a better decision and give better sound quality. 
My budget would preferably be around $100 CDN, I think $150 would be acceptable too but as a student I do not have much money for purchases.
Also if purchasing a DAC would the improvement be noticeable? I did notice a improvement from going from an ipod nano to the HM601 but I wouldn't call it night and day difference. If purchasing the DAC does not provide a huge difference then I may just use the HM601 as a source, or would that be bad?

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 15
Consider EMU 0404 USB, it's decent for the price.

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Thank you for the suggestion!
The EMU 0404 looks like it could be worthwhile, my only problem with it is superficial. I am not really fond of the aesthetics of the EMU 0404, I would like something that I could match with a black matrix m-stage. If I can't find anything else I may just go with the EMU 0404.
I have looked at the Musiland Monitor 02, which is considerably cheaper at $120 and in my opinion looks better, but how is the sound quality? 
Also does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 15
I have heard neither the HM601 nor many budget priced dacs, but I don't think you'll net a night and day difference.

Is there anything you find particularly lacking about the sound you currently get?

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Save up more.
Your patience will be well rewarded, I kid you not.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Well the sound out of my computer sounds dull compared to the HM601, however the HM601 doesn't contain my complete library of music and navigating is somewhat bothersome when at home. 

Mad Max, what DAC do you suggest that I save up for? I've applied for a great paying summer job and if I get it, I wouldn't mind spending more money on a DAC.

Thanks again!

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 15
NFB-3/2 and you will not regret it!

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
NFB-3/2 and you will not regret it!

Glad to hear it!  I have an NFB-3 on order to go with my M-Stage and K702s.  I have a bit of a wait yet however since my batch isnt shipping until the 15th of Feb.  

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 15
So I just received my matrix m-stage and I have not been too impressed.....
Currently I'm listening through my laptop's head phone out but I've also tried listening out of the HM601 line out and in my opinion I can't discern much of a difference when using the amp or without. The volume does increase after I've set the gain to 10db, and also there "might" be a slight increase detail to the music but for $250 I don't believe it justifies the price especially since I could have bought another set of head phones.
Does anyone know what may be wrong? I'm considering in purchasing a dac, however after my disappointment with the amp I can't justify purchasing an expensive DAC and not hearing the improvements that have been allegedly reported by many.

Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 15
You need a better source first, other way you are subject to the GIGO law, maybe you solution was a DAC with headphone out.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 15
I just ordered an m-stage for my k702 and would definitely be interested in reading how well the NFB-3 synergizes with the two as I'm also in the market for a good DAC. Anyone have any experience with both the NFB-3 and Eastern Electric DAC & care to share their impressions? 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I just ordered an m-stage for my k702 and would definitely be interested in reading how well the NFB-3 synergizes with the two as I'm also in the market for a good DAC. Anyone have any experience with both the NFB-3 and Eastern Electric DAC & care to share their impressions? 

Well i have a NFB-2 , a m-stage with OPA moon  and A K702 the combo is really great , the NFB-2 is a nice improvement from my previous DAC ( a Sptifire MK2) , NFB2 and 3 are very cloose , NFB3+ M-STage should be a great combo too .

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

Well i have a NFB-2 , a m-stage with OPA moon  and A K702 the combo is really great , the NFB-2 is a nice improvement from my previous DAC ( a Sptifire MK2) , NFB2 and 3 are very cloose , NFB3+ M-STage should be a great combo too .

Thanks Havoc-28. By any chance, were you able to do any comprehensive comparisons between the OPA-Moon and other opamps ie OPA-Sun, ADA4627-1, OPA827, OPA627/637, HA3-2525, etc? Would appreciate any insights you could give as I'm trying to decide whether I should try the discrete route vs non-discrete. Also, do you have any experience with tube amps? Audio GD says the opa-moon has "tube-like" qualities, I was wondering if this is an accurate descriptor of the moon in your opinion. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 15
First, are you listening to CDs or lossless music (or at least very high quality lossy music)? If not, then this is likely your main problem.

Second, can you lend a DAC from a store to try at home (or buy with full money-back rights)? If not, you will have a hard time knowing how big of a change this actually is. It's not as significant as one may initially suspect (depending on if your built in DAC is absolute crap or only fairly bad). The impact of the headphones themselves and the quality of the music (in terms of being lossless or at least very close to lossless) is by far the biggest impact you will have on sound quality. After this, the amp is a given third in terms of impact, followed by the DAC as the least impacting unit (as long as it is a decent enough unit). I haven't tested low-end DACs for a while, so I'm not your guy for a good bang-for-the-bucks solution there. There's a thread at http://www.head-fi.org/t/566866/does-a-dac-make-a-giant-difference which talks more of this. If you get an external DAC, make sure you have all settings so that it will indeed be the DAC that does the converting. You have to send the unchanged (ideally 24 bit, 192 kHz) digital out signal from your computer to get the least affected signal to your DAC/Amp and headphones.

Third, I haven't tried the M-Stage but several swear by it as suitable for the K70X headphones. Thus - this is not likely to be your problem.

Fourth, it often takes a while to really let the differences sink in. Many times, it is only after using something for a few days (without swapping back and forth) that it becomes really clear what the differences actually are (once you do switch back to the old setup). 

Quote:
So I just received my matrix m-stage and I have not been too impressed.....
Currently I'm listening through my laptop's head phone out but I've also tried listening out of the HM601 line out and in my opinion I can't discern much of a difference when using the amp or without. The volume does increase after I've set the gain to 10db, and also there "might" be a slight increase detail to the music but for $250 I don't believe it justifies the price especially since I could have bought another set of head phones.
Does anyone know what may be wrong? I'm considering in purchasing a dac, however after my disappointment with the amp I can't justify purchasing an expensive DAC and not hearing the improvements that have been allegedly reported by many.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back