DAC for a nice tube amp
Dec 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
I'll soon buy a tube amp. It uses 2x 6C33C-B and ECC88 and as has the original owner stated, is better than WA2 and Zana Deux. Currently, I use AKG K701 but will probably buy HD800, T1 or K1000 (as the amp has got speaker outputs too) in the future. What cheap (let's say, up to $400) DAC should I get? I'll use an optical cable with my MacBook as a source.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll soon buy a tube amp. It uses 2x 6C33C-B and ECC88 and as has the original owner stated, is better than WA2 and Zana Deux. Currently, I use AKG K701 but will probably buy HD800, T1 or K1000 (as the amp has got speaker outputs too) in the future. What cheap (let's say, up to $400) DAC should I get? I'll use an optical cable with my MacBook as a source.

I use a Style Audio Carat-Topaz, which is in that general price range. Though it has a built-in headphone output that is good, I use the Topaz pretty much only as a DAC, for which I think it is exceptional for the price. It has USB and optical inputs. I use it as an optical input DAC (with my MacBook Pro) at one of my desks. In addition to its excellent sound (well balanced, with a hint of warmth, and nice impactful bass), the Topaz has a very low noise floor.

Though I only use its built-in headphone output occasionally, it is a nice bonus to have.

Whiplash Audio carries the Topaz. DACs

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 5
It indeed looks promising, thanks, I'll have a closer look. At first I actually thought about something like DAC_I by Little Dot, does anybody use it?

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 5
You can get PS DL 3 used for $500 these days..

I would stretch a bit and try that route.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Unfortunately, I can't afford it ATM. Once I get better headphones, I'll probably buy new DAC, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back