dac for a computer rig
Jul 23, 2008 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired an earmax pro and have been pulling my hair out trying to get a good dac under or around 600 clams that synergizes well with the emp in my computer rig and 5,000 cd's worth of wavs....ive auditioned several tube dacs but given the natural tubiness of the emp combined with the tube dacs, it turned into a fuzzy mess...uuggghh!!! i recently borrowed a friends ss micro dac and it worked rather well but im wondering what will work best with my system and for my purposes with my recabled hd595's and sa5000's...i listen to an eclectic mix of rock, jazz and vocals; i prize accuracy but not at the expense of warmth and my sa5000's are fussy with components...anybody got any ideas??? thanks in advance

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Take a look at Stello DA100 - that thing is on the warm side with solid bass response.

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 7
perhaps i wasn't clear....i still want to use the earmax pro for amplification duties, I just want to take my m-audio forewire out of the loop and replace it with a dac...the dac should synergize well with the earmax pro

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Currently I use two dacs which work well with my MPX3 and the X-Can V2. They are an Oritek V4.1 and a Lite Dac-Ah w/ the Passive mods. Of the two the Oritek is the superior one, however it is very hard to let go of the Lite Dac-Ah due to its sweet analog sound analog sound.

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks...i'm rethinking options now, however...i originally wanted a minimally invasive sized dac given the premium placed on real estate on my desk...i'm thinking of getting something more ambitious now with future balanced aspirations---used benchmark or lavry perhaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back