DAC far quieter than just PC/phone
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jwl12345

New Head-Fier
Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question.  I have roughly zero experience with DACs or amps.

I recently received my first DAC (the Zorloo ZuperDAC from a Massdrop drop) in the mail.  While trying it out, I've noticed that it's very quiet - both through my PC and through my phone (with USB Audio Player Pro).  Even with all volume settings maxed, its output is below my normal listening level.

I'm trying it out with Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless headphones (with the cable, of course).  They're rated at 22Ω and are driven fine by both my motherboard and phone alone at 50% volume.

Is it normal that the output from the DAC is so quiet?  If not, what could be the issue?

Thanks.

(Edit: Tried them with cheap IEMs that it should have no issue driving.  No dice.  Still quiet at max volume.)

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 7
Does the B&M come with more then one cable?
Have you tried using the other cable?

Wild guess
The Zorloo might not deliver power in a way that drive the B&M to it's best.
Maybe the way both Voltage and Current are applied?

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 7
  Does the B&M come with more then one cable?
Have you tried using the other cable?

Wild guess
The Zorloo might not deliver power in a way that drive the B&M to it's best.
Maybe the way both Voltage and Current are applied?

It only comes with one cable, but I tried it with some cheap IEMs and the same issue is occuring.  I wouldn't think it would have an issue driving cheap IEMs to a listenable level, but I'm not an expert.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 7
  It only comes with one cable, but I tried it with some cheap IEMs and the same issue is occurring.  I wouldn't think it would have an issue driving cheap IEMs to a listenable level, but I'm not an expert.

Maybe the Zorloo is defective?

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the ZuperDAC, it has similar volume output to my PC integrated audio, so 50% volume is loud enough.

I also have UAPP on Android, it is actually much louder than the PC for me, I only need to use around 3-4 volume steps.

You should probably contact Zorloo.

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 7

I recently received my first DAC (the Zorloo ZuperDAC from a Massdrop drop) in the mail.  While trying it out, I've noticed that it's very quiet - both through my PC and through my phone (with USB Audio Player Pro).  Even with all volume settings maxed, its output is below my normal listening level.

I'm trying it out with Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless headphones (with the cable, of course).  They're rated at 22Ω and are driven fine by both my motherboard and phone alone at 50% volume.

Is it normal that the output from the DAC is so quiet?  If not, what could be the issue?
---
(Edit: Tried them with cheap IEMs that it should have no issue driving.  No dice.  Still quiet at max volume.)

First off, don't use "quiet" to describe it. In audio terms that tends to mean 'low noise' rather than what you're describing, which is 'low output.'

Second, that definitely isn't normal. Given it relies on USB power however that would be my first suspicion, especially if it only happens on the phone. But since it happens with your PC, did you try all other USB ports? If that doesn't fix it you need to contact Massdrop and Zorloo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back