DAC doing that screechy sound
Dec 25, 2014 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

spykez

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this in the Modi section but seeing as not everyone goes in that thread and this issue has popped up on other DAC devices I figured someone could shine some light.

My Modi has been great the last two weeks but it just started doing that high pitch frequency scratchy sound and it even more noticeable when I move my mouse. 

I thought maybe my Little Dot may be the problem but I unplugged my Modi from the Little Dot and plugged in my Phono Pre-amp and the sound went completely away so I know it's the Modi.

I've tried different USB cables as well and that had no effect.

I had all my stuff by each other and decided to spread things on my desk so everything wasn't jammed together and once i plugged everything back in the Modi started the irritating sound. As I said, the last 2 weeks it was absolutely silent.

I also know it's not my USB ports being tempermental because the DAC in my Topping VX1 is silent too.

Any ideas?

I've moved all my cables, I tried different cables, I tried undoing everything I did and the problem still persists.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm sorry that I can't offer any helpful insight but just so you know you're not alone, I had this happening with an Emotiva XDA-2 dac. I was never able to figure out why it was happening. It was particularly bad with the David Bowie Next Day download, but would happen with other downloads as well as ripped cds. This wouldn't happen all that often, but usually right on cue when I wanted to show off my system :)

I just got a Gungnir and so far I haven't heard a screechy peep out of it. Just very crisp, clear sound. Maybe the screech is something happening with these less expensive, therefore not as well designed dacs. I did have an old MF V-Dac that never made that sound though so...

I assume you've contact the Schiit heads about this?  It seems that the best way to get to them is via email (tech@schiit.com) but they get back to you really quickly and are very friendly and helpful. By far the best customer service I've ever dealt with, besides not being able to talk with them on the phone of course.

Good luck

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 21
Ya I emailed before posting here.

I've never heard the issue happen with the Topping VX1 amps. Built in DAC and doesn't make the sound on any of them. I can't imagine the DAC in this Topping is any higher quality than the Schiit considering the Topping only cost me 110 bucks when the Modi alone cost me 100.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 21
This is what I get for trying to re-arrange my desk -.-

I can't imagine it's my PSU either, it's a high quality one and as I said, it only just started doing this after I moved a few things around on my desk and had everything unplugged.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 21
Alright, this is still bugging me. They said they'll swap it out but I can't imagine that the unit just goes belly up like that, not when this is a very common problem with USB audio interfaces. Anyone else have any idea why, after TWO WEEKS of it working perfectly it decides to start screeching at me? I'm starting to think I may just end up having to buy the wyrd to clean up the signal -.-

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 21
That's the one I bought for it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXLD4G

I also grabbed the one that came with my VX1 which is 3 feet or a little smaller and does the same thing.

I guess I just need to accept that the Modi needs to be replaced. I can use both cables on my VX1 which has a built in USB DAC and it's 100% silent.

Kinda humerous though, all my "chinese" audio stuff is working great but the one thing I bought that's produced, manufactured and assembled here in the US goes belly up.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 21
cable length is not your issue then. seems like you just got a lemon and hopefully the next one will just work. I know how frustrating this kind of stuff can be but if you really think about how incredible this technology is, its pretty amazing that anything works at all

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 21
lol ya, I'm not even mad, I've been determined thinking there's no way it was perfect for over a week then all a sudden after I decide to move things around on my desk it "no longer works"

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 21
classic. been there a bunch of times in one way or another.  it's almost enough to make you take up Buddhism :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 21
LOL! I've been building customer computers for 15 years now...you'd think I would just expect this crap by now and be ok with it.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 21
ARGH!! GUYS IM DESPERATE FOR IDEAS!!!

I just got a Schiit Wyrd in the mail thinking finally I'll be able to use my damn tube amp and ITS STILL MAKING THE GOD DAMN NOISE!

I seriously don't understand what is going on here. 2 weeks the DAC was fine. I got it replaced, still making the sound. I got the wyrd in, still making the noise! The Wyrd was supposed to eliminate this problem!

From the beginning

I had a Topping VX1 amp/dac combo, never any noises. Then I got my little dot mk3 which meant I had to get a new DAC since my Topping doesn't have any rca output.

So I bought a Schiit Modi DAC. Worked perfectly for over a week. Then I decided to unhook everything on my desk, unpowered everything to move stuff around.

When I hooked everything back up, I had that frequency sounding screeching coming from my DAC, when I move my mouse or load anything it gets louder.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't my MK3 amp so I hooked my DJPreII phono amp up to it, no screeching coming from it.

So I got the Modi replaced thinking it went bad. Just got the new one in the other day and it's still screeching.

I order the Wyrd because it's supposed to solve issues like this.

ITS STILL MAKING THE NOISE!

I've tried everything I can think of, different USB ports, different usb cables. Different RCA cables (even though they work fine on the DJPre).

The only thing I haven't done yet is hook up my 2nd monitor I used to have.

I'm completely out of ideas! I don't understand why I'm having so many issues with this but if I run the DAC on my Topping, it's dead silent.

Is there something in the Bios that needs to be changed or something?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 21
3 feet. Same ones I've been using.

The only conclusion I've come to is my Little Dot went belly up.

I forgot my Topping has an aux input on the back so I took my modi and plugged straight into my topping and bypassed it's DAC by running Aux mode (using the Modi as a DAC) and it's perfectly silent.

The only thing I don't understand is why my Little dot was silent when the DJ Pre phono amp was hooked up. Whatever, it's free return so at this point I'm willing to try anything. I'm just going to order the Valhalla 2 instead and hope that it was in fact the Little Dot that's been driving me up a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back