DAC distortion
Dec 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TLoFP

New Head-Fier
I just experienced something rather weird. Pink Floyd sounded distorted through the FiiO E10K. I played some sine wave sweeps and they sounded distorted in the higher frequencies. They sounded very "Digital" not very smooth. I don't know if I am using the word distortion correctly but that is the best I can describe it. What was there 100% for sure was beating at the higher frequencies. Ok, maybe the headphones were broke, so I tried it on my desktop. No beating no distortion, just pure sine-waves. Ok back to the FiiO, yep its real, it sounds like crap. Here is the interesting part: I rebooted (via power off/on cycle) the FiiO and this phenomenon disappeared completely. Is this a known situation for USB dacs? Is it something the FiiO is known for? My only guess is that some clock became out of sync.

- Dominik

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 6
This why higher end (well not really) DACs have async USB to solve this issue.  The AudioQuest Dragonfly is getting pretty cheap now, so why not check it out and see the difference on sync vs. async USB?

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 6
LoL. I haven't had the FiiO for a week yet and I am checking out new DACs. But seriously the FiiO is working great. This was a one time hick-up and it happened on first time driver install. That issue might never show up again. I have already decided that my next purchase is the Modi/Magni 2 combo. I am also hoping I can pick up an AKG K7XX. Mass drop said they made 6k of the K7XX but they only sold 4k so far so I can only imagine they will have another batch. (offtopic)

Anyways, so you are suggesting that the clock of the computer and the DAC dropped out of sync?

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Good pick on your next DAC.  And yes I do think they went out of sync.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Yep, and it doesn't happen often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back