Dac distortion problem
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kons

New Head-Fier
Hi there, running a PC setup with the JBL jbl lsr305s and the Korg DS-DAC-100. Been having a pretty strange issue for a while. Everythings working as it should, until all of a sudden (usually when multitasking or listening to music while gaming) all the sound distorts. The distortion is permanent, the only solution is to go into playback devices renable and redisable all enchancements.

Ive reinstalled drivers for my DAC multiple times, ive installed a fresh version of windows. My pc hardware should be easily capable of doing what im trying to do and shouldnt be the issue.

Could this be a usb voltage problem or anything of the sorts? Im trying just about anything i can think of here, any help would be appreciated!

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi there, running a PC setup with the JBL jbl lsr305s and the Korg DS-DAC-100. Been having a pretty strange issue for a while. Everythings working as it should, until all of a sudden (usually when multitasking or listening to music while gaming) all the sound distorts. The distortion is permanent, the only solution is to go into playback devices renable and redisable all enchancements.

Ive reinstalled drivers for my DAC multiple times, ive installed a fresh version of windows. My pc hardware should be easily capable of doing what im trying to do and shouldnt be the issue.

Could this be a usb voltage problem or anything of the sorts? Im trying just about anything i can think of here, any help would be appreciated!

since you mention that it usually happens when multitasking, i wonder if you're maxing out the pc. could be cpu or ram or even buffer sizes. i don't think this has anything to do with the dac.

i'd suggest you run task manager and look at system utilization. when you have the issue, see if you can see any trends.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Just a guess but it may be that your audio buffer size needs to be increased. Dig around in your audio settings and increase the buffer size.

I also remember that there can be audio problems caused by certain codex not playing nice with your DAC. You'll have to research that a bit if the buffer increase does not help.

What other audio programs do you have running?

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 12
Untitled.png
since you mention that it usually happens when multitasking, i wonder if you're maxing out the pc. could be cpu or ram or even buffer sizes. i don't think this has anything to do with the dac.

i'd suggest you run task manager and look at system utilization. when you have the issue, see if you can see any trends.

This only started happening when i upgraded my setup and added the dac & speakers. My ram is not a problem for sure, when gaming my cpu does go up to 85% (picture attached) not sure if that would be a problem.

Just a guess but it may be that your audio buffer size needs to be increased. Dig around in your audio settings and increase the buffer size.

I also remember that there can be audio problems caused by certain codex not playing nice with your DAC. You'll have to research that a bit if the buffer increase does not help.

What other audio programs do you have running?

It does seem to happen when using a lot of different applications for audio at once, for example youtube, spotify and games. So might be the audio buffer size. Do i use KORGs own supplied control panel for this or is there a better way?

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 12
Is it only heard on the speakers and not headphones?

Since its a dac+amp combo both the headphones and the speakers have the distorted sound. Just got it twice tonight by stress testing gaming, music and voice at once. The CPU is at normal temps but does spike close to 100 sometimes. Temp on comp is normal overall.

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Increased Asio buffer size to maximum on the korg control panel, will see if this helps. Thanks

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Might have been a dac driver issue as PCM was forced to 48khz, now att 44 as standard again when gaming and multitasking.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Sometimes the rate switching causes issues especially in USB DACs.

Yeah, seems like it. Havent had any issues in two days now. Seems like a very driver specific issue for this model of dacs. Thanks for the help nevertheless. Great trustful forum as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back