DAC -- decision nearly made (well, thought it was)
Mar 10, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 73
Have u looked at the KingRex UD-01/PSU combo..... Ive read a few post's outside of Head-Fi and a few people said it performs better than the DACmagic.

smily_headphones1.gif
Just thought id throw that out there.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my Beresford TC7520 for around 6-7 hours and im telling you this is one incredible DAC.

It blows the DacMagic and the V-DAC away (yes I have owned them both) and leaves my rip-off £650 former Stello DA100 Signature running for cover.

The headphone amp is (good but only good no more than that in my opinion) but as a standalone DAC even in these early stages it sounds incredible with both of my Headphone Amps.

I spent a little more on an upgraded power supply and I still had change out of £200.

Im telling you this is one amazing DAC for the money.

Interesting, in this shootout Beresford performed rather pale comparing to other similar priced options
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/hi-...ootout-410478/
Stello is running for a cover, that's quite a statement? What amp it was paired with, can you provide specifics on the differences and why you preferred Beresford.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great recommendation, indeed.
biggrin.gif
I remember that thread and it wasn't just because of showing the picture but rather due to stubborn suggestions Beresford and another DAC were the same design which wasn't true.

Citation Needed.

If they aren't the same, what's his problem with internal pictures of both being shown?

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 73
The DacMagic is not actually a bad dac and is indeed very good, the differences between the 7520 and the DacMagic are fairly subtle, the big difference is the price and the inclusion of what I consider to be a very good headphone amp and like most mention it punches well above its weight.

If the 7520 is in your ballpark for what you are looking to spend I would recommend giving it a try. If you were near Guildford I would offer to let you listen to it otherwise I believe a money back offer stands.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 73
Well I've been back through hundreds of posts and I can't find the one that mentioned the V-DAC being genre dependent. Anyone have an idea about this?

I feel as though I'm back to square one.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 73
reported. (spam)

EDIT: That one was removed fast!

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the issue at hand, other options.
I forgot to mention w.r.t. the SuperPro, I found it on Item Audio: Because the CD is Dead. Looks like it may be an older version. Don't know if that makes a difference. However, no-ones recommended it anyway.

For what it's worth, I strongly recommend the SuperPro. I have owned it for some months now & think it's an absolute bargain. I wrote an inexperienced review on our local stereonet forum here:

Pro.DAC Mk II - Stereo Net Australia

Cheers
wolster

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #23 of 73
Thanks for the review. I have more or less dismissed it now, though mainly for pure lack of information.

Although it's not disappointed, I really need a comparison against the other FOTM. From that point of view, it doesn't seem popular round here. Also, the place where I'd buy it appears to stock an older model.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #24 of 73
CIMG0138.jpg

dacmagic1sy6.jpg

mer.jpg

Not my photos (apart from the last) all three can be had for a similar price! And why would you remove all the ID's from the chips you use?

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 73
So, I've been doing my research like a good little Head-Fier and am even more confused
confused.gif

Currently the V-DAC and DACMagic are at the forefront of my search, because I'm hoping to hear them both soon.

One stumbling block with the DACMagic is the reputedly poor USB implementation. An option to overcome this is to use the Trends UD10.1 as a converter.

In terms of a converter, is there a difference between the full and lite versions? Am I still only taking it up to the standard of the V-DACs USB?

What are the advantages of the Trends over, e.g. Behringer UCA202?

Seems expensive at (£140, £70) for the (full, lite) version (compared with previous prices I've seen, about 2 years old). Has it been improved? It's also limited to 16/48 on the S/PDIF isn't it?

Another option is the trends as the DAC. I guess it won't stack up to the others though?

A slightly cheaper alternative to the Trends lite is the Styleaudio Carat UD1. Any idea how this compares with any of the above?

Phew. Too many combinations. Any help appreciated.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my Beresford TC7520 for around 6-7 hours and im telling you this is one incredible DAC.

It blows the DacMagic and the V-DAC away (yes I have owned them both) and leaves my rip-off £650 former Stello DA100 Signature running for cover.

The headphone amp is (good but only good no more than that in my opinion) but as a standalone DAC even in these early stages it sounds incredible with both of my Headphone Amps.

I spent a little more on an upgraded power supply and I still had change out of £200.

Im telling you this is one amazing DAC for the money.

Wasn't the V-Dac the best think since sliced bread? Now you like the Beresford better than the DA100 Signature? Sounds like your heading in the wrong direction. Whats next? the Super Pro 707 in the purple tin?
eek.gif
Is it possible that you just cant go without buying new stuff and end up moving down hill for doing so and then you feel the need to rationalize these purchases?

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the Little Dot DAC is coming out soon.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Yet another to consider!

Obviously not currently in the running since it doesn't exist...

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Is it possible that you just cant go without buying new stuff and end up moving down hill for doing so and then you feel the need to rationalize these purchases?

You could be right, or the dac may indeed be better. Perhaps you could borrow or buy all three to test them out and give us your opinion of their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back