DAC, DAC/Amp for my DT880
Sep 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tunsty

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm using a MacBook Pro and a DT880 (250ohm). I want to buy a DAC and an Headphone Amp or a DAC/Headphone Amp.

My budget is around ~400€ for a DAC and a Amp.

I was interested in Yulong DAH-1 Mk II but I read in a review it wasn't the best DAC for DT880.

Do you have any choices for me ?

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 4
It's my opinion that DACs have subtle differences between them.  They are subtle, which means I don't think that one DAC is vastly better with one set of cans than with a different set of cans.  I would research DAC sound descriptions that seem to fit your musical tastes.  For example, the Musical Fidelity VDAC is said to be a hint warm, which is said to pair nicely with analytical cans, like Beyers.  If I were going to buy a DAC, that would be at the top of my list to pair with my Beyer DT990s.  If you prefer more neutral or colder DACs, there are some of those out there for you to explore as well.  But, I think DACs are only subtly different, so they're not night and day different.

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 4
In fact the V-DAC was in my list after my long hours of research.

The Dac Magic was also in my list but since I can't listen to them I don't really know which one would be best for me.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
In fact the V-DAC was in my list after my long hours of research.

The Dac Magic was also in my list but since I can't listen to them I don't really know which one would be best for me.

I have both and would tend to agree with hodgiy - the differences in Dacs are subtle to me at best. I find the big difference comes from amps and of course the phones. My VDac is often described as warm - I may not have the golden ears others have - but I just don't find it to be overly warm compared to my DacMagic. The overall sound signature when it's paired with my LDI+ maybe be warmer than my DacMagic/M-Stage - but I expect that because of the tubey sound of my LD.

In fact - I went on vacation a month or so ago and brought my VDAC and paired it with my M-Stage (mainly because of size) - and can say that it was quite neutral with that amp IMO and sounded fantastic, crisp and detailed with both my Beyers and my k271s. Both are great Dacs - and I heard a huge improvement in my setups when each was added so you won't go wrong with either. I just don't hear "huge" differences between the 2 - both are excellent sources (esp. optical from the Mac). The big difference I think is in connectivity - the DacMagic has greater connective options - meaning if your needs dictate that is important (i.e. multiple sources) then it may be worth the additional $s...otherwise you'll be very happy with the VDac and save a few bucks for your amp. Good luck!    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back