DAC compare: Yulong D200, Matrix mini Pro or Audio gd NFB-1 (2014 version) ?
May 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ealtan

New Head-Fier
When searching internet I lowered DACs in to 4 choices... I couldn't listen to any of it yet because I don't have any chance to listen to them... So I need help!

My intention, with using a DAC is to get better sound when listening to my Marantz CD 5000 player and checking the sound when making mixes and mastering...  

My present system is: Rogue Sphinx amp with Mullard tubes, Audio Nirvana 8'' Alnico speakers, Mac mini with TC electronic connect 6 interface.

For now, I can't afford Mytek, Benchmark... I urgently need help from someone who had chance to compare any of these DACs...

1) Yulong D200

2) Matrix mini pro

3) Yulong DA-8 (which has the best reviews so far... I try to afford but not yet...)

4) Audio gd NFB-1

May 31, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 5
I have not heard any of those 4 choices. But from what I read so far, those 3 Yulong dacs do all sound different, but are considered to be very good for their price.
The D200 is more on the neutral side if I remember correctly, while the DA8 is more smooth sounding. And the D18 is known for a very warm sound, comparable to a tube amp.

Since you want to check your self made mixes, the D18 is probably not suitable at all due to it's strong coloring. May the DA8 too.
You might consider some Audio GD dacs too. They also have a good value for their price and the units with the sabre 9018 chip are known for a neutral sound.

When it comes to a dac, I would always go for a neutral sounding one and let the rest of the system do the coloring.

May 31, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the respond. I also do not want colored sound from the DAC. I may prefer just a little bit ''darkness'' against brightness though... since my speakers are in a little bit bright side...

I narrowed down the search as:

1) Yulong D 200

2) Audio gd NFB-1 (2014 version)

3) Matrix Mini i Pro

What will be your choices for the most natural sound with widest sound stage from these DACs? Or other recommendations?

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 5
I am also in dilemma between this few DAC/Amp to choose?
I am using Sen HD650 and Beyer T90 currently.

Anyone compared it before?
Mind to share your experience here?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 5
 I narrowed down the search as:  
1) Yulong D 200

2) Audio gd NFB-1 (2014 version)

3) Matrix Mini i Pro

Which one did you go for in the end? I'm also deciding between the Matrix or the Yulong and not sure which one to get as I can't test them.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back