DAC: benchmark vs ps audio vs apogee vs weiss vs esoteric vs others
Sep 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NapalmV5

New Head-Fier
im looking at dacs and i dont know what to say they all are bittersweet they all have +/- advantages/disadvantages they still jitter/performance could still improve

im in need of a dac but none are really worth parting money on.. should i dig further ?

those of you owning dac/s please any input is appreciated

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 3
many moons ago i read an article and this was confirmed later on in many other forum disscusions that jitter on most devices is so vanishingly low that it doesnt matter.

right... your stood in a room watching a band in a live envrioment, how on earth can a 2ch pair of headphones recreate this sound ? its just not possible, its a technological limitation. we might have two ears but the ability to detect genuine omnidirectional sound is amazing, how many speakers do think you would need to reproduce the whole "3D" image our ears can resolve to replicate a live event.

much like how many screens do you need to cover you whole field of view on pc? I know the movie theatres massive one still doesnt.

further more there are already losses in recording and capture.

further more again, your probably not going to notice between 320KBPS MP3 and a wav file and think of those losses.

150ms of jitter is what decent sony DVD players used to achieve 10 years ago. now we are down to half of that in some cases. its tiny pico differences.

seriously Jitter is one of the last things people should care about. Regulated power supplies, quality analogue components and signal path are where its really at.

there are some files on here with jitter added and same recording with none and there is naff all chance anyone can hear the difference

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 3
yeh but reviewers make one dac sound like an f1 and the other jitters like an horse carriage

anyways i totally agree theres losses everywhere from recording all the way down to hearing

all this audio tech just fools/tricks us into thinking thats what we want to hear

we are so very far from absolute purity.. were still infancy.. nothing comes close to live performance

thanks phill

well ive dug further and thanks to the dac threads/posts here at headfi looks like ill be going with the audio gd ref7 exactly what ive been seeking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back