DAC and USB extensions
Apr 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

qoouep

Head-Fier
I'd like a little more length from my laptop to my headphones. Are USB extension cables pretty much all fine for the job?

I'm using the nuforce uDAC if that makes any difference.

I found http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/us...uality-364565/, which seems to lean more toward the cable not making a difference. The post was about USB cables though, not extensions.

Is this just a subjective issue with no definitive answer?

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Longer / lower quality USB cables CAN (and this is a BIG can) introduce some staticy noise. But, so many variables apply, such as impedance of the phones, stability of the USB power, other traffic on the same USB host bus...

You should see a big difference. If it does introduce problems, just return the new cable.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by qoouep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you define "lower quality"? Would that be anything not "audiophile grade", or would the USB extension cable I got with my logitech mouse work fine?

It's really hard to tell without just trying out a cable. Anyone that buffs it up for some special reason or special core is probably lying. But anyone that makes everything unknown might be hiding something.

Just try it out. If it doesn't introduce static, you're probably good to go.

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Cable length between full speed devices is limited to 5 meters. For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters.
As the signal degrades proportional to the length of the cable, a short cable is often recommended. Other says a short cable puts the PC to close to the USB-DAC so it might pick up RFI .
Go figure.

If you are in a experimental mood you can do a listening test:
-current cable
-current cable with a extension cable
-1 USB cable of the same length
-extension cable for your headphone and a short USB cable

But I do think there are more pleasant ways to waist ones time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back