DAC and amplifier for HD 598
Sep 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

alexw

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a stationary DAC and amplifier for my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones for use with a desktop computer.

I've looked around and found the "Henry Audio USB DAC" and the Fiio E9. I have no idea whether these two will suit each other in terms of sound, and I'm wondering if anyone has used either or both of them.
Other alternatives I have found include the Henry DAC with an Argon HA1 (which is slightly more expensive than E9 in Norway), or a NuForce uDAC 3, which is the same price as an E9. There are also a couple of used Fiio E17s for sale online, which would only cost me half of a Henry+E9. There are so many alternatives, and it's very hard for me to navigate this jungle of possibilites.

A 6.3mm out connector in the amplifier would be preferred, since I use the HD 598 primarily. You probably have an idea what price range I'm looking at from reading my post so far.

Alternatives in an orderly fashion:
- Henry Audio USB DAC + Fiio E9 or E9i (same price)
- Henry Audio USB DAC + Argon HA1
- NuForce uDAC 3 (with or without amp?)
- Fiio E17 (half the price of Henry+E9)
- Fiio E9+E7 (E7 very scarcely available)

Questions
Will I need an amplifier along with the uDAC? Which is the best of the alternatives I've mentioned? Are there any other, better alternatives?
I'd appreciate some help on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back