DAC and Amp Synergy with D2000s
Dec 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

d0n7bl1nk

Head-Fier
Hey all,
Yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and ordered some Denon D2000s from Amazon (got a pretty good price, too, imo). I almost went for the Ultrasone HFI-780s on Sunday when Amazon had them priced at $212, but I waited too long, and now they're back at $249.

Now I'm thinking about which DAC and Amp I should go with in order to fill out/improve/enhance their sound. I'll be using the chain primarily for gaming, but also for watching movies and listening to rock, folk, and electronica. I don't always listen to the best sources, so I want everything to be a bit forgiving.

I've been thinking about getting into DIY, especially after finding AMB's DIY site, but I don't have any soldering experience. I guess now would be a good time to learn, though.

Anyway, I was thinking of building myself a gamma2 and a Mini^3, once I get the chance. Would those pair well with the Denon's?

I like the gamma2 because it would allow me to plug both my PS3 and PC into it at the same time (one with optical, the other with coax).

I like the Mini^3 because it can be used portably, but is still a solid amp (at least from what I've read so far).

Will the Mini^3 hold back my system? In other words, will its portability detract from my sound quality enough to not be worth it? I could always go with an M^3, it's just that the whole issue with building a power supply like the sigma11 kind of scares me (the lethal shock warning on AMB's page doesn't help matters).

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Pico dac and amp. Because Pico emphasizes the mids. It helps because the denons have recessesed mids.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Although it's not portable at all, I thought the Audio-Gd Compass synergized very nicely with my Denon D5000 when I had both - I'm sure it would sound good in your system as well.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although it's not portable at all, I thought the Audio-Gd Compass synergized very nicely with my Denon D5000 when I had both - I'm sure it would sound good in your system as well.

What HDAM did you use, Earth, Moon or Sun v.2?

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since starting this thread, I have done a bunch more lurking and reading around this site, and it does seem like the Compass would be a good match for me. Yeah, once I set it up it won't be going anywhere (it looks huge, as well as hefty), but if I really find the need for it I can always get a portable DAC/Amp.

I've also been looking at the EMU 0404 USB due to its price/performance ratio. I'm still surprised by, and a bit wary of, its reported performance, though. Seems like it's not really meant to be an audiophile-grade DAC/Amp solution, but some seem to swear by it at its price point.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico dac and amp. Because Pico emphasizes the mids. It helps because the denons have recessesed mids.

I've looked at the Pico. It looks really nice, and the different color options are pretty sexy. It's a bit more expensive than the Compass, however. Besides the portability of it, does the Pico compare favorably to the Compass (i.e. would it be worth the extra expense)?

The other problem with the Pico (for me), is that it doesn't have any S/PDIF connections (correct me if I'm wrong). I want to be able to hook up my PS3 via optical and my PC via coax/USB, and switch between the two.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What HDAM did you use, Earth, Moon or Sun v.2?

I used it in its stock configuration (Earth) and thought it did nicely to tame the Denon bass a little bit, make it sound more controlled and less farty, and bring some semblance of balance to the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back