Dac and amp recommendations for Shure 846
Sep 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Oistein

New Head-Fier
I have been thinking long about what headphones / IEM's to buy and have landed on the shure se846. Since I listen to many bass heavy genres, Metall, dubstep, hip-hop and rap these seem like the ideal new IEM's for me. Now at the moment I have no DAC's nor AMP's sitting at my desktop and running sound straight out of my computer. So these would not be used to just run the IEM's but also a few other cheap headphones and further headphones. I might get the 650 Sennheiser further down the road for some over the ear headphones.

I am a working adult and hence I am not looking for the cheapest possible setup. Looking for spending around 1000$ - 1200$ on the amp / dac setup.

So far I have been looking at the Woo Audio WA7 however I have read mixed reviews of it's internal DAC. I have heard great words about the Parasound - Zdac https://www.amazon.com/Parasound-Digital-Analog-Converter-Black/dp/B00ANTVS90.

Been also thinking about a portable setup, but I will save that for later. I have read the introduction post, but nothing really struck out as the best combo / single DAC amp combo.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 4
I would also suggest a Questyle QP1R. It is a Dap that also can be used as a USB DAC/ amp . I had a Teac UD-301 and Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it took getting a Yggdrasil to best the QP1R. It is that good. The UI could be better but once you hear it you don't care. It can run almost any headphone don't have the HD-650's but is great with my HD-700's. It is stellar with my Ether-C's. As with all things audio YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back