DAC and Amp Recommendation for DT770 Pro and Ultrasone Pro 900
Jun 6, 2009 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trigg3rhappy

Head-Fier
I currently own a DT770 Pro (80 ohm) and recently the Ultrasone Pro 900. I know that these would probably be categorized as low impedance headphones. I've heard that most people would prefer to use something such as a solid-state or hybrid amp to power low impedance headphones. I've heard good things about models such as the Gilmore Lite. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

In addition, I was wondering if anyone had a good ideas on a good DAC to get. I tend to listen to classical, contemporary piano, alternative rock, and other instrumental music. I was looking at models such as the Diyeden Great March II, Zhaolu D3, and the Tianyun Zero. Of course I have a budget, or else I would try something such as the Neko Audio D100 DAC. I've heard and seen a lot of people getting the Audio-gd Compass. How would that be in comparison as well, and why do so many people seem to prefer it or change to it?

This would be my first ever DAC and amp. Currently I run my source through my PC with a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard. Otherwise, on the go, I'd use an iPod.

Later on I plan to probably get a Sennheiser HD650 and Grado sr325is, but not anytime in the near future. I think I owned a DT770 Pro for 2 years before deciding to even purchase an Ultrasone Pro 900. For my future HD650 purchase however, would it be a good idea to get a tube amp instead of a solid-state amp? I was thinking of possibly something along the lines of a WooAudio 3 or 6.

If possible, would a WooAudio 3 or 6 be good choices for the current headphones I already have? The only reason I don't think about getting them for my current headphones is because I've read that people say tube amps are bad for low impedance headphones that require a lot of current. If someone knows otherwise, maybe it'd be good to get a tube amp instead?

Probably this is a lot of questions and more than needed for a single topic post. After writing it all, probably a lot more information and side-tracking that needed for my original title post. Sorry if this was a bad post, I havent posted many things before. Thanks for reading and responding.

Now to sit back, wait, and read.
popcorn.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And for a 250 ohm dt770 pro?

Hmm, sorry what are you addressing this question towards? I own an 80 ohm dt770 pro. So that's mainly what I'm looking towards it for.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 9
I guess this will end up being a dead thread as no one is really replying. Maybe I gave too much sidetracking, questions, or information upon the first posting in this thread.

Mainly I wanted to know some good desktop DAC models. I was thinking about the:

Diyeden Musiland Great March II
Zhaolu D3
Audio-Gd Compass

If nothing seems to come up after this, I guess I'll just let this thread die early and young.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for replying 1UP
beyersmile.png

I'd say my budget is around 300ish, considering the models I was already looking at. I'm hoping to get something that I'll hopefully enjoy for awhile and won't really regret buying. I've heard around from some people that the Tianyun Zero DACs aren't really that great, but of course that's opinion. I can't really say too much since I haven't really tried them out before.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Still not sure if your budget was just for the DAC, or for a one-box DAC/amp....

Assuming just the DAC, hmmm, I'd probably just get an Asus Xonar soundcard which is $200ish, the Keces DA152, or perhaps the new Little Dot DAC_1 or Devilsound DAC.

When moving up in price for an external DAC, you get basically more features and hopefully much better resolution and overall sound quality. I'd say there's a big black hole of diminishing returns in midpriced DACs (>300 <1000), cause there's only so many compromises to be made that won't give up substantive improvements in sound quality.

Re: amp, I had the DT770s for many years, and if the Pro 900s are anything like the 780s, well, they sound not too different from each other. I'd probably sell one pair of the headphones and reinvest the difference in a good amp.

I'd recommend the Millet MiniMax from Whiplash Audio! There's also one on the FS forum right now.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Re: amp, I had the DT770s for many years, and if the Pro 900s are anything like the 780s, well, they sound not too different from each other. I'd probably sell one pair of the headphones and reinvest the difference in a good amp.

Yeah, it seems I made a mistake in my recent purchase of the Ultrasone Pro 900 after making too little research. I seemed to read a few posts in other threads about their comparison the DT770 Pro, but I seemed to read more after I had gotten them (bad choice).

I got them hoping to have something different and unique as a closed can for on the go listening in public. I would much prefer open headphones, but that's not possible in a public area such as crowded computer labs at school.

After all the things I've read and your last recent posting, it makes me feel as though I should have just gotten some other closed can such as the Denons or Audio-Technicas.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 9
AT A900s are great - I prefer them to the DT770s
tongue.gif
but hey, you live and learn, your wallet will get used to it as long as you're a member here
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 9
I have DT770 Pro/80's and I got the Compass and I have to tell you-the sound is great and keeps getting better. I think I have the Compass and headphones completely burned in now (I'm not anal about keeping an accurate hour count but I've been using the combo for 2-3 months, often leaving it run night and day). I don't even think the bass sounds "boomy" anymore, just strong. I used to listen directly from an X-Fi sound card and the difference is night and day. Read the Compass threads and I'm pretty sure you'll order one. I also have HD650's in my sights and everyone says the synergy with the Compass is great. I hope that helps if you're still checking this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back