DAC / amp - where do I go from here?
Jul 10, 2020 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

silent-circuit

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently using a Topping D50 DAC and Little Dot MKII amp. Not unhappy with them, but I have some higher end headphones on the way and am seriously considering a balanced setup. Seems like just about everyone running $500+ cans are using balanced cables and gear.

I generally prefer used gear, definitely want the best bang for the buck, getting the nicest setup I can afford. I can justify spending $500-600 max on a DAC and amp, combined. If that'll get me a significant step up from what I have now, great. If not, guess I need to keep saving.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Nothing. Report back in 2 years or until you can articulate in words with certainty (i.e., frequency response, transparency, tone purity, energy, PRaT, dynamics, focus, soundstage, holographic imaging, resolution, etc.) what you like and dislike about your current system.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 12
I mean, for $699 you can get a really great DAC the Schiit Bifrost 2. First Bifrost was meh, but the second gen is really really good for its price. But, from what you are looking at $500-$600 combined for both an Amp/Dac and what you have. I would recommend saving more if you want a good upgrade. Then you could go for a Bifrost 2, and maybe a V280 used, as they have good synergy imo.

Granted this is a big step up from where you are at now, but it also costs a lot more. If you are happy with your setup now there really isn't a reason to upgrade unless you want to get more out of your cans and have the cash laying around imo.

Balanced also isn't the be all end all, it just depends on what the manufacturer focused on. Take for example the HPA-1, it isn't balanced but is amazing and highly recommended.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 12
I guess my thought process was, I paid about $150 each (from memory) for my current DAC and amp a couple years ago, used, so spending 2x on each replacement component would offer a significant improvement. Kind of the same thought process I went with in looking for new headphones. If you're saying I need to double that budget for a real step up... then yeah, I'll need to save up.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 12
I personally would just save, especially if you don't have a problem with the sound or power as of now.

There is a performance void from 200-700 ish for dacs where anything in that range is really only a marginal upgrade from the 200 dollar range stuff

Once you take the step into getting something more powerful and musical you will see a huge difference, The Bifrost 2 is going to be a bit smoother, wider, and relaxed.
There is also ares ii which is going to be more forward but more fun this time with a slight w shape to the sound, a bit wider stage.
Both of these are $700+ for a Dac.

The V280 is very warm leaning and has loads of detail and technicalities, but doesn’t shove it in your face and presents in a natural way from what I have heard.
The V280 pairs nicely with both the Bifrost as well as the Ares ii. As Dac+Amp Synergy is important.

Yet again, these are a lot more expensive than your budget, but if you ever want to upgrade they are a great upgrade with a huge difference in sound quality from what you have currently. But you gotta be dedicated to headphones at that point, as that is a huge investment.
So just keep what you got for now, and decide later on what you truly want. A new DAC/Amp or a down-payment on a car. Lol

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Currently using a Topping D50 DAC and Little Dot MKII amp. Not unhappy with them, but I have some higher end headphones on the way and am seriously considering a balanced setup. Seems like just about everyone running $500+ cans are using balanced cables and gear.
I generally prefer used gear, definitely want the best bang for the buck, getting the nicest setup I can afford. I can justify spending $500-600 max on a DAC and amp, combined. If that'll get me a significant step up from what I have now, great. If not, guess I need to keep saving.
Topping DX7s DAC/amp.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 12

EDIT: There's a Jotunheim with the multibit card in the FS/FT forums I put an offer in on. It's a powerful SS amp (I did find myself turning up the Little Dot more than I'd like to get the volume I was looking for, at times) and a quality DAC, fully balanced, and I can play around with combinations of other DACs and amps with it. May use the Little Dot as a tube buffer, see what that does.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 12

Why not try the Mk2 first and then come back and tell us what you don't want about how your system sounds like when the Mk2 is driving those mystery headphones

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 12
Why not try the Mk2 first and then come back and tell us what you don't want about how your system sounds like when the Mk2 is driving those mystery headphones

I'm getting a pair of Sendy Audio AIVA and a pair of Mr Speakers / Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Closed. The AIVA are already on the way, the AEON Closed I'm waiting on the current owner to share their payment info.

The MKII doesn't get as loud as I'd like / noticeably distorts with some songs listening to the HE-4XX and the new headphones are just as hard to drive if not harder, from what I understand. That's what's got me looking at higher power amps / balanced output. I could have certainly been more clear in my initial post, I agree.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 12
OP, you are using the wrong amp if you are trying to drive low impedance cans. Pick up a cheap glite mk2 and report back in 2 yrs after you gain some experience.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 12
I'm getting a pair of Sendy Audio AIVA and a pair of Mr Speakers / Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Closed. The AIVA are already on the way, the AEON Closed I'm waiting on the current owner to share their payment info.

The MKII doesn't get as loud as I'd like / noticeably distorts with some songs listening to the HE-4XX and the new headphones are just as hard to drive if not harder, from what I understand. That's what's got me looking at higher power amps / balanced output. I could have certainly been more clear in my initial post, I agree.

That's because OTL amplifiers like the Little Dot Mk2 are designed to have their highest output when presented with a high impedance load, like a 300ohm Sennheiser. It produces the lowest output and highest distortion at 32ohms and lower.

Try something like the Meier Jazz FF or Gilmore Lite Mk2, or a Schiit Asgard3.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 12
That's because OTL amplifiers like the Little Dot Mk2 are designed to have their highest output when presented with a high impedance load, like a 300ohm Sennheiser. It produces the lowest output and highest distortion at 32ohms and lower.

Try something like the Meier Jazz FF or Gilmore Lite Mk2, or a Schiit Asgard3.

Helpful, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back