DAC/amp w/ pc and Edifier powered speakers
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

espanarules

100+ Head-Fier
Long time earbud fanatic, and recently over ear enthusiast...

My pc is relatively new...I have my active Edifier R1700BT speakers...

2 objectives:
  • have an dac/amp to improve headphone listening quality, cans from 32-250 ohms
  • also improving my speakers
bonus would be not having to move around to adjust several knobs, buttons to switch between heaphones and speakers...

Portability is great...not a deal breaker...
Maybe a soundcard???
Budget, "thanks monsterzero" $50-169
Any input is greatly appreciated....
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Entry level:Magni Uber 2(non-Uber version wont drive powered speakers)+Modi Multibit will give you what youre looking for.

Might help if you include your budget.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Entry level:Magni Uber 2(non-Uber version wont drive powered speakers)+Modi Multibit will give you what youre looking for.

Might help if you include your budget.
just added budget...thanks...$50-169

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Audioengine D1???

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 10
+1 for Magni 2 Uber, it's a great little guy. I don't think you really need the Multibit version of Modi, just the Modi 2 should be fine.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 10
+1 for Magni 2 Uber, it's a great little guy. I don't think you really need the Multibit version of Modi, just the Modi 2 should be fine.
Ok...so, with this, I plug into the computer, and then the active speakers from that? and just plug in the headphone jack when needed?...will it shut of the external speakers automatically, when I plug in the headphones?
Thanks

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Ok...so, with this, I plug into the computer, and then the active speakers from that? and just plug in the headphone jack when needed?...will it shut of the external speakers automatically, when I plug in the headphones?
Thanks

Yep,the speakers go off auto when you plug in a HP.
For 129.00(just for amp) its pretty entry level,but it will do the trick.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 10
Long time earbud fanatic, and recently over ear enthusiast...

My pc is relatively new...I have my active Edifier R1700BT speakers...

2 objectives:
  • have an dac/amp to improve headphone listening quality, cans from 32-250 ohms
  • also improving my speakers
bonus would be not having to move around to adjust several knobs, buttons to switch between heaphones and speakers...

Portability is great...not a deal breaker...
Maybe a soundcard???
Budget, "thanks monsterzero" $50-169
Any input is greatly appreciated....

I don't know if there's any DAC-HPamp-Preamp single or two box unit that sells for that much new. Something has to give somewhere - you don't get a DAC or you don't get a preamp, maybe not even a line out. Or it's USB powered and the headphone amp's output might not be enough for some headphones.

If for example you'll get the E10K (I read somewhere the output is controlled by the knob, but you should double check on that), which also makes a bit more power than most other USB powered units, still try to get a high sensitivity headphone with relatively low impedance. 96dB/1mW or higher with less than 150ohms. It's OK if it's lower than 32ohms as long as the output impedance of the headphone output is low, and these days most go below 5ohms. AFAIK the E10K is lower than 5ohms. Look into headphones like the HiFiMan HE400S and Fidelio X2.

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 10
I am just tring to see if a DAC will make my music listening any better?...and them maybe a combo w/ headphone out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back