Dac & Amp w/ 325i, 225
Oct 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Floodge

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to research various amplifiers before purchasing one to go with my sr325i/225s. Currently they operate off of a Little Dot Mk1+

I have considered both the Zero Dac, Compass, and various others, but I could use some recommendation, and I know others with this combination would benefit from a thread about it. My personal budget is soft at $400, going up or down depending on where the real value is here.

I want to take the setup to the next level in general.

EDIT: How is the Millett Max and Melos Sha-1 in the amp department?

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 6
the Millett Max is a good warm amp. I thought it sounded good with my SR-325i's when I had them.

Though the SR-225i/SR-325i don't need much amping. They sound great unamped, but a little better amped. If you want a amp, get the Millett then, it's a great smooth sounding amp. Or another alternative is the C2C, a very powerful Chinese made amp.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 6
If you plan on getting a Dac/Amp then the compass is probably a good choice(In a month or two thats what im going to get to replace my current setup
smily_headphones1.gif
). If you are just looking for an amp then there are lots of great amps out there for $400. Heed Canamp and Audio gd C2C are great amps, there are also a lot of good tube amps out there.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 6
My SR125 sounds very good with my Beresford TC-7520 DAC/AMP. (with upgraded upamps). I have also read about other headfi members loving the beresford/grado combo.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 6
I kept my 325is around since I got such a great deal on them, not used much but I have been listening to them more and more balanced- the clarity and smoothness of treble is hard to beat.
Balanced is something to try with Grado's IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back