DAC/AMP upgrade
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

music25

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Tubemagic D1 plus DAC and a Schiit Lyr.  I mainly listen to my HD600, but also use Sony MDR 7520, HD497 and HD-25 1 ii's here and there.  I'm looking to upgrade my DAC and am leaning towards the Grace m903.  I would like to get rid of the hybrid Lyr and have a solid state dac/amp combo. As this is quite a step up in price, my question is the Grace a good choice?  I need something with as neutral a sound as possible, but still able to drive HD600 and possibly 800's in the future.  Sources include a Marantz CD5004, Rega RP3, and some 192/24 files from my laptop.  Any thoughts or insights would be tremendously appreciated.

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Not familiar with the amp, but the Oppo HA-1 is the new flavor of the month, and they typically make good products. http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-ha-1-integrated-headphone-dac-and-amplifier/reviews/11366

For more a much smaller budget upgrade, you could look at the Audio-GD dac/amp/preamps. They have gobs of power.

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 3
As mentioned above, Oppo and Audio GD got reputation nowadays. From what I heard the Bottlehead crack sounds good on hd600. I am going to buy one for my 650. However, if upgrade means buying a more expansive amp, I can't give you any suggestions, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back