DAC/Amp up to $600
Nov 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jeycam

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get a new, desktop rig. Untill few days ago I planned on building the K701 setup with separate DAC and amp, but my plans has unfortunately changed. As for now, I'd like to go with a DAC/amp combo and closed-back headphones. As for headphones, I'm thinking about one of these three:
- Denon AH-D2000
- Shure SRH840
- Ultrasone Pro900
I have no clue about the source, though. Currently, I use Beresford TC-7520 but I don't really like it and would like to get something better. I'll use an iMac as a transport so it could be optical, USB or firewire input. I thought about Apogee Duet, but I'm not really convinced to that. Are there any other DACs/amps worth giving a try?

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 3
hmm you could get a Headrom Micro stack for 666$, as a previous head-room owner, I used to think their stuff was overpriced, as a chineese dac/amp owner now, I think i'd have to re-think that. Headroom's stuff is Grade AAA, top quality, superb workmanship, and unbeatable service/warrenty. You just can't get that from china it seems. When I look at my Chinese gear, i see decent design, so-so components, and only passable workmanship, when there's a problem you may get support if it's a good company, to be fair i've had problems with both my amp and dac, and got replacements, there are language barriers however, and somtimes shipping can be expensive and drawn out. I think the key thing to take away here though, is the fact that i've had to replace both of them. If it was a head-room product, I don't think I'd have had to, to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back