DAC/AMP Units ... Schiit vs Zen Dac V2
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

phaetos42

New Head-Fier
Since the other thread has been so much fun, let's go again.

As I said in the other thread, my current dac/amp, an FX-Audio DAC X6MKII (wonderful naming scheme), has bitten it's own tail and died. I am currently using a set of Shure 440's until I find something more comfortable.

Every review I've seen Schiit gets plenty of good praise and the new ZenDac V2 has been getting good reviews as well.

As for the Schiit stack, I would have to get a the Modi & Magni to accomplish this, correct? Now if I wanted to connect some desktop speakers at some point, which I intend to do, will this accomplish this as well, via the RCA outputs?

Which solution would be the better option? The Schiit is always a modular upgradeable option, the ZenDac is .. not so much.

Edit: I just realized that I would need the Modi Multibit to connect it via USB to the PC. That thing cost 2.5x the Modi. Why so much?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes, you are correct. You could connect the RCA outs on the Magni to some powered speakers or via an external amp to passive desktop speakers.

When I got my first Schiit Stack (Magni3+/Modi3), I did exactly this and it worked well.

I don't have any experience with the ZenDac so I can't offer an opinion on that but I currently have lots of Schiit (Asgard3 (x2), Jot2, Jot1, Modius, Loki, Lokius, Magni3+, Modi3, Modi3+, Modi MB, plus numerous 4490 and MB DAC cards)...

Sep 29, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Yes, you are correct. You could connect the RCA outs on the Magni to some powered speakers or via an external amp to passive desktop speakers.

When I got my first Schiit Stack (Magni3+/Modi3), I did exactly this and it worked well.

I don't have any experience with the ZenDac so I can't offer an opinion on that but I currently have lots of Schiit (Asgard3 (x2), Jot2, Jot1, Modius, Loki, Lokius, Magni3+, Modi3, Modi3+, Modi MB, plus numerous 4490 and MB DAC cards)...
So I would actually need the Modi Multibit to connect via USB for PC use, yes? Or is there another option? Because that Multibit is $249 vs the $99 of the Modi 3+.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 14
Am I missing something here? Is there some kind of constraint or requirement like budget or something I am not seeing. I don't know what other thread you talking about so I have no idea what that was.

No you do not have to use any of the magni products with the Modi line up. They are just the same form factor and less money, other than the multi bit version. You can use a modi with any of the other amps. I use on with an Asgard 3. Or you could get one of the larger amps like the Asgard or something else and opt to have a dac added into it as an add on card. Same with the dacs, you could use one of the more expensive larger dacs with a small magni if you wanted to.

And no, you don't have to get the multi bit to use it with USB. I am pretty sure they all have a USB connection. My modi 3+ uses the unison USB. And it also has optical and coax inputs.

Multi bit is just a different version of a dac which supposedly has a slightly different sound to it. And the reason it costs more is because the chips it uses are far more expensive and they spent a lot of time making them work. It is their own unique thing and they had to figure out how to implement it and write all the code and what not.

Like I said, I have an Asgard 3 with a Modi 3+ and my computer plugs right into via usb. No issues. I also have a dvd/cd player plugged into via coax digital and my tv via the optical connection.

Or you could get the hell or fulla which is a dac/amp combo.

Sep 29, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 14
Am I missing something here? Is there some kind of constraint or requirement like budget or something I am not seeing. I don't know what other thread you talking about so I have no idea what that was.

No you do not have to use any of the magni products with the Modi line up. They are just the same form factor and less money, other than the multi bit version. You can use a modi with any of the other amps. I use on with an Asgard 3. Or you could get one of the larger amps like the Asgard or something else and opt to have a dac added into it as an add on card. Same with the dacs, you could use one of the more expensive larger dacs with a small magni if you wanted to.

And no, you don't have to get the multi bit to use it with USB. I am pretty sure they all have a USB connection. My modi 3+ uses the unison USB. And it also has optical and coax inputs.

Multi bit is just a different version of a dac which supposedly has a slightly different sound to it. And the reason it costs more is because the chips it uses are far more expensive and they spent a lot of time making them work. It is their own unique thing and they had to figure out how to implement it and write all the code and what not.

Like I said, I have an Asgard 3 with a Modi 3+ and my computer plugs right into via usb. No issues. I also have a dvd/cd player plugged into via coax digital and my tv via the optical connection.

Or you could get the hell or fulla which is a dac/amp combo.
My other thread is about iem suggestions. Ok, so I can use any schiit with usb, they don’t make that very apparent on their website. I looked at the back of the modi 3+, what port is the usb Connection? It’s not usb-b or C.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 14
The modi's use mini usb still. I think a few of their products have usb C but not a lot of them. Jason said it basically boiled down to the fact the usb c ports themselves cost a fair amount more than the mini does so for their more budget products that is what they are going to use in order to keep costs down.

And they have a specific magni for IEM's called the IEMagni that has three gain stages instead of two. Its like 20 bucks more though I think.

And every dac on their website seems to clearly state they work with usb. Especially in the specs tab where it lists the types of inputs each product has.

When you look at the back of the modi 3+ to the far right there are two little slits. These are the usb ports. One has a symbol of a power plug above it and the other a little rectangle. The one with the plug icon is purely for powering the unit via usb if you want to use a different power source. It even comes with an ac to usb power converter in the box that plugs into the wall. The other plug is the data connection that connects to your computer or phone or whatever. This will also power the device if what you hook it up to has enough power to do it. Like say a desktop or laptop. If the device doesn't have enough power, like say a phone you can use the external power option. Or if you are using the optical or coax inputs and now computer. Then you would have to use the usb power port in order to power the device. Me personally I use the external power anyway even though it is connected to my desktop. Not sure if it makes any difference one way or another but that is how I did it. My modi dac never shuts off, it is always powered. I also have things connected to the optical and coax inputs as well. So lets say I wanted to listen to my cd player and my computer wasn't on the unit would still have power. I don't use the wall adapter though. I have battery back up power supply for my most of my equipment and it has usb power outputs so I plug my modi into that.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 14
The modi's use mini usb still. I think a few of their products have usb C but not a lot of them. Jason said it basically boiled down to the fact the usb c ports themselves cost a fair amount more than the mini does so for their more budget products that is what they are going to use in order to keep costs down.

And they have a specific magni for IEM's called the IEMagni that has three gain stages instead of two. Its like 20 bucks more though I think.

And every dac on their website seems to clearly state they work with usb. Especially in the specs tab where it lists the types of inputs each product has.

When you look at the back of the modi 3+ to the far right there are two little slits. These are the usb ports. One has a symbol of a power plug above it and the other a little rectangle. The one with the plug icon is purely for powering the unit via usb if you want to use a different power source. It even comes with an ac to usb power converter in the box that plugs into the wall. The other plug is the data connection that connects to your computer or phone or whatever. This will also power the device if what you hook it up to has enough power to do it. Like say a desktop or laptop. If the device doesn't have enough power, like say a phone you can use the external power option. Or if you are using the optical or coax inputs and now computer. Then you would have to use the usb power port in order to power the device. Me personally I use the external power anyway even though it is connected to my desktop. Not sure if it makes any difference one way or another but that is how I did it. My modi dac never shuts off, it is always powered. I also have things connected to the optical and coax inputs as well. So lets say I wanted to listen to my cd player and my computer wasn't on the unit would still have power. I don't use the wall adapter though. I have battery back up power supply for my most of my equipment and it has usb power outputs so I plug my modi into that.
I saw the USB-Mini(or Micro) on the back, but didn't realize that was for the data connection. Schiit currently has some B-Side(dent/ding and returned) Modi and Magni on sale on their website, it's $10 less per unit, which puts that into the same area as the ZenDac V2.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 14
Correct, both Modi3+ and Modi MB both allow for USB connection. They just have different connectors. If your budget is still under $200, the B stock Magni/Modi combo is a good one.

If you can stretch the budget up to $349, I would go to the Asgard3 with the ESS DAC card. I have a couple of Asgard3s and they are a bit better sounding than the Magni - the increased power really helps with headroom on the Planars. And the built-in DAC card makes it a one box solution which is very convenient. The only down side (other than the increased cost) is that you are limited to only USB input on the DAC card vs Toslink (Optical), SPDIF (Coax), and USB on the Modi.

I would imagine that the Asgard3/ESS Card combo would be significantly better than the ZenDac V2 but double the cost...

Something to think about anyway.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 14
modi/magni 3 is pretty good for 198usd.
Schiit Hel 2 is also great( all in one, 1 box instead of 2)

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 14
As this seems to be the route I'm gonna go with a Schiit stack, where's a good place to find some decent desktop speakers for my PC to connect to it? I know there isn't a forum here for speakers, so any help would be appreciated.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 14
There is actually a sub forum here for computer audio. You might try that. Its going to depend on what you are looking to do with it and how you want to hook it up. Like are you planning on using the Magni or whatever as a pre amp for the speakers? Make sure you give an idea of what you are trying to do when you ask so someone help you out better. If you are looking to use the magni as a pre amp I would say some sort of powered monitors would work but I honestly couldn't tell you what good ones would be. Never used them. My computer is hooked up to my home theater system for speakers. Then to my Schiit stuff for headphones. Completely different outputs on my computer.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 14
There is actually a sub forum here for computer audio. You might try that. Its going to depend on what you are looking to do with it and how you want to hook it up. Like are you planning on using the Magni or whatever as a pre amp for the speakers? Make sure you give an idea of what you are trying to do when you ask so someone help you out better. If you are looking to use the magni as a pre amp I would say some sort of powered monitors would work but I honestly couldn't tell you what good ones would be. Never used them. My computer is hooked up to my home theater system for speakers. Then to my Schiit stuff for headphones. Completely different outputs on my computer.
Thanks Paul. I saw that sub-forum but wasn't sure if desktop speakers or even bookshelf speakers were a fit for that section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back