DAC/amp under $275
May 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

funsound

Aka: westonelove
CAUTION: Incomplete trades.
Hi guys,
Just decided to make an account after weeks of reading. I recently pulled the trigger on he-500. I'm looking for an amp under $275 to drive it.
Would I also need a dac if I am using my laptop's realtek soundcard?
Thanks in advance

May 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Would I also need a dac if I am using my laptop's realtek soundcard?

That depends - on one hand, your laptop's soundcard was most likely not designed with the standards of an audio professional's or serious audio hobbyist's standards in mind; on the other, would you hear the difference? A lot of people have been disappointed that they can't, and come back here to vent their disappointment, but really, apart from listening to them yourself, there's really no other way to find out.

In any case, I'll elaborate on why it would be a good idea - a dedicated DAC is designed primarily to sound as much as possible like real music. While they all inevitably have a compromise, suffice to say the people designing the DAC, who are thinking of people who will compare and critically listen to their product, have less compromises to make with audio quality compared to the people who designed your laptop, who have many other performance parameters for a given MSRP and profit margin.

I haven't had enough time to critically listen to the HE500 myself though, so as to what specific gear would be great for it, I can't make any recommendations from personal experience. BUT, do keep in mind that it can demand more current, and whether you use just an amp, or also a separate DAC, or a device that can do both, make sure they can power the HE-500 first, even if you have to buy the amp first and worry about the DAC later. Although as someone who prefers skipping analog signal transfers, I'd say get the best DAC-Amp you can get.That said, you might wanna read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527472/ibasso-d6-fer-de-lance-usb-dac-amp/495

May 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 7
The iBasso D7 are great little DAC/AMPs for portable use..........

May 18, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Audioengine D1. Best DAC/amp under 400. If budget goes to $400 then CEntrance DACport. If it goes to $700, then Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP.
Over that and I dont know :frowning2:

May 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 7
I used to own one and it did a very good job with my HD 580, DT990, and Q701. It has decent build quality for a budget all in one. Mine was flawless except for some excess glue on the bottom. The 1.8 W output at 50 ohm is also sufficient for your HE-500. The more expensive models will get you a better case, bigger power supplies, and the option to use the TE8022 for 24/192 over USB.

Other well reviewed dac/amps in this price range are the Audinst MX1 and Yulong U100, but I think the NFB-12 outputs more power and has more functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back