Dac/amp under 200
Jan 9, 2017 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Sonic7381

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, haven't really been on in some time, but now that my birthday and Christmas aren't my only sources of spending money, it's time for an upgrade. I currently own Sony mdr1r and really ma750, both of which I like. I only really got he Sonys because they were100 shipped and were about third on my list compared to a couple of others in the 2-300 range. The rha are great for me, very revealing but not clinical like the etymotics I had previously. Both of these have seen some wear and tear and have held up admirably. Im looking into getting a dac and amp, not for the either of the two I have but for the future when I plan to upgrade to something like a sennheiser 600 series or a hifiman in the $300 ish range. I need the dac and amp currently because the internal sound card on my pc motherboard is broken, and I figured why not start building for the future? Right now, I would like to keep costs under 200, as my plan is to save 500 ish in total. My question for you guys is what is the current best dac and amp combo you can get today for under 200, that will be good with any headphone I would purchase in the future. I know the magni modi stack is a good transparent combo, but the fulla 2 has the same dac chip and a decent amp for half the price. Something I know I want is a dac with a black, noiseless background. Any level of noise drives me nuts as I often listen at fairly low volumes. As for an amp, I'm intrigued by a tube amp, but I have no qualms with a solid state one either. Any opinions on other combos that will lat for a while? Odac? Space is no issue as this will sit in my desk. A lot of the sub 100 dacs are ultraportable, which I don't need. No issue with something small but I don't want to pay for small.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Adam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back